Does anyone know who to reorder the boards in the all boards view?

JannelleRE Sells Boston August 16, 2017

I am just trying to organize which boards I want to see first. Right now they are order be creation date. I would also like to organize my list of teams, again just organized by the creation date

12 answers

4 votes
Anne Asher January 9, 2021

I completely agree with everyone who says we should be able to customize the order of boards.

Especially with Trello who is known as a brand for its Drag & Drop capabilities. In fact, each team member should have that ability (as a view, perhaps?) within that "shared perspective" predetermined order. 

For me, I"m mostly a 1 person shop and need everything as intuitive as possible so I can avoid time wastes (such as hunting down instructions about features like this that sadly I have to discover don't even exist. There's an hour I'll never get back.)

3 votes
AlexWatt May 2, 2019

Hi @Mike ,

Could you please ping the PM responsible for such a feature? The reason you gave, one dashboard for several people, does not stand. As you use logins, you can very well store in the account the preferred order of a user without impacting anyone else.

Multiple solutions exist, the feature is fairly simple, and there is a lot of request for it. It would be nice from Trello to consider it seriously.

Kaliko Trapp August 25, 2020

I totally agree we need to be able to FREELY REORGANIZE BOARDS!

I am on a monthly Business Plan to assess using Trello over other products (like Monday or Asana) and this one thing alone makes me want to get out of Trello before I create too many boards and end up like others not being able to organize them freely (i.e. not alphabetically, by date, etc etc).

I hope someone in marketing understands that this is becoming a major issue for many folks (as evidenced in the thread above and probably below in a little while).

Like Wes Burrell likes this
2 votes
Chris June 15, 2019

As an interim solution, you may want to consider numbering your boards (i.e. start the name of the board you want to see first with a “1”, the board you wan to see second with a “2”, etc)

it is a little awkward because you have to edit the names of all the boards when you want to change their order.  

If you don’t have too many boards and you are not reorganizing them too often, it is a workable - but clunky - work around.

Pablo Espinoza Rodriguez June 13, 2020

Chris, this is a good Workaround, but be aware that if you have more than 9 boards, the 10th will go just after number 1. I guess that you will have to number them as 000, 001, 002, etc... I guess...

I can't believe that today, board custom arrangement can't be donde.

Like # people like this
Mike June 15, 2020

Yup,

I don't understand why this hasn't been implemented yet. +1 for this ASAP.

Like Philippe Naffah likes this
Kaliko Trapp August 25, 2020

I totally agree WE NEED THIS! I am on a monthly Business Plan to assess using Trello over other products (like Monday or Asana) and this one thing alone makes me want to get out of Trello before I create too many boards and end up like others not being able to organize them freely (i.e. not alphabetically, by date, etc etc).

I hope someone in marketing understands that this is becoming a major issue for many folks (as evidenced in the thread above and probably below in a little while).

Raph September 10, 2020

Yes I want this as well. We have around 70 plus boards for events and I would like to see them in order of the date they are happening on. In fact everybody at my company would like to see them in that order, because it makes it much easier to see at a glance what's coming up.

Like Kaliko Trapp likes this
Siena Conde September 11, 2020

I can't believe this hasn't been developed yet. I use Trello to organize my personal and work life with multiple boards under each. The solution doesn't work if I cannot bucket my boards and further identify how I want to see them.  I would consider leaving trello for this reason

1 vote
Matt Everett October 11, 2021

Is there any update to this?  Such a basic feature. I think I’m going to switch to Asana for this feature a lone. It’s 2021 I’m just shocked a drag/drop company can’t apply the same concept  to re-arrange the order of projects. So frustrating. Trello should listen to their customers. Hello Asana. 

Kaliko Trapp November 18, 2023

I left Trello for this very reason: no ability to sort boards by any of the associated metadata. It's obvious they either don't use Trello themselves or just simply can't be bothered to implement this feature. They have made all sorts of excuses as to why it supposedly is not implemented —see Atlassian responses in this thread— but as someone who works with programmers, I can assure you that it is possible to do; they are just choosing not to do so. Well, it will only result in folks like you and I leaving this otherwise very nice platform in the search for a better toolset. All the best to you and yours. [insert door-closing sound here]

1 vote
Deleted user June 1, 2021

I also mis this function.   i want to freely order my boards in sections wich i can give a titel. 

I have created a board for each month of the year and want to  categorize them under the titel 2021.  

Nouw my monthly boards a mixed up with my project boards.

1 vote
Scott Parker September 12, 2020

I've been searching the web for a better part of an hour looking for the answer to manually sorting my 'personal' board to my liking. Found this thread and was surprised that this is a two year old conversation about such a basic concept.

Even within a team environment having the option to custom sort has value. For example, a troubleshooting team would want to know what fire to put out first. Move the hotspots to the top and jump right in.

So many apps have those little three dots that allow you to edit the sort. With cookies and desktop apps, it would be easy to have two options: 1. sort by team setting. 2. sort by my settings. Toggle between the two and this takes care of both our desire and the methodology stated early on in this thread about everyone seeing the same thing.

0 votes
PS May 4, 2022

Shocked that even after all these comments no action has been taken. This is a big deal! 

I left Trello due to the lack of ability to sort boards by any of the associated metadata. Instead, I wrote a database app in FileMaker Pro/Claris Pro to cover my use case. It's obvious these developers either don't use Trello themselves or just simply can't be bothered to implement this feature. They have made all sorts of excuses as to why it supposedly is not implemented —see Atlassian responses in this thread— but as someone who works with programmers, I can assure you that it is possible to do; they are just choosing not to do so. Thus, folks will continue to leave this otherwise very nice platform in the search of a better toolset. All the best to you and yours. [insert door-closing sound here]

0 votes
Olawale Alabi May 28, 2019

What I did was to force my boards (even with team view) to show how I want is to add an integer as the first character in the boards name.

For instance:

1. Home Page

2. List View

0 votes
Mike April 29, 2019

I'm on board with this. I'm a member of multiple teams and I have quite a few personal boards too.

I would like be able to organize boards. For example, when I am finished working with a client and their team, I world like to drag their team board to the bottom of my list.

I have a client whose name starts with an "A" and it is kind of cumbersome to always see her board at the top of my list when I am not currently doing work with her.

I have another client, a nonprofit, whose name starts with a "C" and I would like them to be on the top of my list instead of scrolling down and being distracted by non active clients.

I know we can star, but that's just another step we need to take. Please look into a drag and drop organization option. Thank you Trello!

0 votes
Max Volkov December 23, 2018

Hallow. You can reorder all your boards by adding numbers in front of title. YW

Vijay Venugopalan December 30, 2018

Hi could you explain a bit more in detail.? Putting nos in front of the title did not work for me..

Olawale Alabi May 28, 2019

See my reply...

0 votes
Vijay Venugopalan December 1, 2018

Hi Michael,

I agree with the above. This feature would help in organization much quicker.! With all the reasons above.

Hopefullyvyoi could do it.

Thank you again!

Best Regards

VJ

0 votes
Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 17, 2017

Hi Janelle,

Where are you seeing your boards and teams organized by creation date?

On the your Trello homepage that you see after logging in, you should be seeing your teams organizaed alphabetically, and boards alphabetically within those teams. At this time, it's not possible to change that.

What you can do, though, is star boards to bring them up to the very top "Starred" section that sits above your "Personal Boards" section. It's also possible to drag and reorder boards in your Starred Boards section: http://help.trello.com/article/965-starring-a-board

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Jason Carson January 3, 2018

I'm curious (1) why there's no feature to reorganize my boards (i.e., I'd like to reorder them by color, to keep my 1-on-1 meeting boards grouped by team - seems like a no-brainer) and (2) if there are plans to integrate that functionality in the future (and, if so, when)?  Thanks.

Like # people like this
Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 4, 2018

Hi Jason,

Right now, there aren't plans to allow all boards to be reorganized.

Why there's no feature like that? Because Trello is built on the concept of a shared perspective, we don't typically build a lot of features that allow you to view something about your boards in a way that's different from other people. For that reason, boards in the regular Boards list are always alphabetical.

Starring a board is something that's personal to you and doesn't impact any one else's display, and because it's generally a small amount of boards, those can be re-organized to help you keep your most frequently used boards easily and quickly accessible.

Like Vijay Venugopalan likes this
Violeta Nikolova June 21, 2018

Hi Michael,

I am experiencing the same problem. It's really inconvenient. 

While I see your point in sharing the boards, why don't you keep this alphabetical order  rule only for Work Boards. As there is a separate area for Personal boards, a user should be able to re-organize it as he/she wish.

Or you could think of a feature like Master Board Owner where only the team lead who is primarily in charge of creating and sharing new boards is able to re-organize his/her organization's Work Boards as there is prioritization of projects and work. you know. I truly believe this will be a valuable feature and Trello's team will soon help companies organize their projects even better!

Cheers,
Villy

Like # people like this
Tom Strange July 25, 2018

Hi Michael,

I would like to be able to organise both my teams and boards. If you unlock this feature you will make the product far more accessible and usable to people for all aspects of their life. This would expand the market for the product to individuals which would be a great land and expand distribution strategy for you because many of those people would inevitably then use in their working life. Please can you explore sorting features?

Tom

Like # people like this
claudia.mechtler April 21, 2022

we work with a lot of boards, one for every product. our products and therefor boards are numbered from 1 to 18, but trello doesn't organize them in the correct order but something like: 1, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 2, 4, 5 and so on, which is really inconvenient. please work this out

Unfortunately, this is the kind of thing that dissappoints us all, and by all appearances, looks like it will never be fixed. I came back to see if Trello had made any advances in board organization after our conversations on this thread in 2020, but it seems that nothing has changed. Oh well, it's "bye bye" all over again. I'm going to see how Padlet is doing these days as an alternative. Take care everyone.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events