Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know if it is possible to sync only the checklist between cards on Trello?

Juan Chamorro May 10, 2019

I  want two cards on different boards to be able to use the same checklist but not allow the ability to change other aspects of one card from the other. I tried using cardsync but it syncs the whole card. I want to be able to keep restrictions on board members. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2019

@Juan Chamorro 

Hi Juan,

Yes, this is possible with the Butler Power-Up.

However, in regards to checklists you should be aware that syncing them involves a number of actions that need to be targeted with separate commands.

A checklist

• can be made complete
  • can be made incomplete

Checklist items

• can be checked
  • can be unchecked
  • can be removed
  • can be added

As far as I can see, you would need at least 6 commands for syncing the two checklists. And to do so, some form of a paid account with Trello, since with a free account you can set up only 1 command.

Hope that helps you. Let me know if you need more assistance with this task.

Juan Chamorro May 14, 2019

Hi Katrin, 

Thanks for your response. I realize I would need more commands for this and thus a paid account, however what I am still not sure is how to get the checklist with the built in commands to be synced while in different boards. So far I was able to create a command/button to check of an item on a card but it appears to only work in the specific card I am on.

Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2019

@Juan Chamorro 

If you would want to sync checklists on different boards, you have to make sure the cards are connected/linked to each other.

This can also be accomplished with a command sequence. It's a matter of the workflow design ... how you begin to set things up.

Then, when there is a link between the cards, you could simply say "when a new checklist item is added checklist XYZ, find the first card linked in the attachments and add checklist item".

I also would like to point out another way. Maybe that's more suitable and easier for you. There's a new Power-up that can sync Trello cards. It's called "Mirror". Here's an article on Trello's blog about it. It's a paid Power-Up with a 14 day free trial, but it seems to me as if it is much easier to set up as the commands required for the Butler Power-Up.

Thanks for the swift reply. It appears I can't event test it without upgrading to business class. Yeah I saw the mirror one and I'll look into it now however I believe it syncs the whole card and mirrors any changes in each other. Thanks for the help.

Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2019

@Juan ChamorroI think I saw that you can select what you want to have mirrored. Good luck!

Yes! just realized that. Thank you

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events