Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do not copy custom field

Julien Bonleu December 7, 2018

When you copy a card from a board to another, you have the option do copy members, labels and comments.

If the custom fields Power-up is enabled, is there a way to also have the option to copy or not the custom fields?

In some cases it is great to copy custom fields and there values but sometimes I would like to just copy the card without the custum fields.

Thanks.

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Teddy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2018

Hi Julien,

There is not currently a way to prevent cards with Custom Fields from replicating those fields after being moved to a new board. I'll definitely let our team know thats something that you'd be interested in seeing!

Julien Bonleu December 10, 2018

Thanks for the answer Chris. Let me know it is something that could interrest someone else.

Alex Rosa July 24, 2019

I am also interested in this feature.

Like Sold It Today likes this
Gonzalo Zapata January 8, 2020

Me to!

It's very necessary for the people who work with bords and cards templates.

fsicardi May 4, 2020

i'm 100% in for this feature. It's actually being quiet a pain to see so many unnecesary fields when copying from A board to B board. Would be awesome if butler could support copying a card with customized set of fields and values.
At least that should solve my issue.

Thx

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2020

Sorry to jump in, but I'd like to add something here that I found out quite recently.

Custom Fields are limited to 50 per board.

If you move cards from one board to another it will only hold 50.

Example -

Board A has 35 Custom Fields

Board B has 35 Custom Fields

You move a card from Board B to Board A - some of those Custom Fields are going to disappear. 

I've encountered this recently and had to completely change how I use Trello to try and minimise the number of CFs that I use. I lost a lot of information that I didn't even realise I'd lost doing this. While I know this might not be achievable for everyone, I thought I should point this out. Personally, I have changed a lot of mine to labels rather than CFs. This also means it's a lot easier to filter because you can filter by labels much easier!

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents!

Esme :)

Edit: I should say that it's ok if the CFs are the same, but if you have 1 CF for "Date" and another for "Date:" - these are different and will be treated as such. I've tried to reduce the CFs on my boards, and make them as unified as I can - but blimey that took some doing!

maxime armand June 4, 2020

I'm interested in that feature too! 
Custom fields are specific to boards so I don't understand why they are copied with a card (and I'm talking about copying a card to a new board, not moving it to a new board)

Unilumin USA August 9, 2021

Me Too!  We need this ASAP!  It would be so helpful!

Zdenka Dostalova December 17, 2021

PLEASE - I need it asap as well THANK YOU

MF_BOT February 24, 2022

Me too!

WG Trello Admin October 31, 2022

Me too please! We have automation which creates card copies from multiple boards and due to the issue noted by Esme above https://community.atlassian.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/3555478 , we have reached the 50 limit.

either raising the 50 limit, or being able to choose not to copy certain (or all) custom fields between cards would be great.

0 votes
Fernanda López Lagos August 29, 2023

Three years later, still waiting for this to happen. We need to choose which custom fields to copy, or not to copy them at all!!

Mark Cronin October 6, 2023

Has there been any update on this topic, current behaviour when copying a card seems to be to create a custom field on the destination board if the cusotm field in the card being copied contains data.

If I wanted the custom fields on the destination board, I would create them myself.

0 votes
Michelle Tither November 21, 2022

I have an issue with this too - we have a rule where cards automatically get copied to other boards at certain stages of the process - I've managed to automatically delete the data not needed to be copied but can't delete the fields. I've notice if you copy a card manually, not copying the fields IS an option - why can't this happen when copied via a rule?

0 votes
Robin Doherty September 13, 2022

I need all custom fields to be copied to a new board.  Getting half of them doesn't work.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events