Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do all employees need a premium Trello/Powerup subscription in order for things to work?

Anna TB May 4, 2023

We have just acquired a premium Trello account with a Workspace with marketing boards.

In this workspace, we want to add paid Power-ups (ex. Zapier) for syncing different programmes, Tello cards etc. 

All our employees have their own free Trello accounts with personal planning boards. We want to sync all of these (outside) personal boards to the paid marketing Workspace so that, for example, if someone is added to a card in the paid workspace... the card is copied to their personal board outside the Marketing Trello and is synced. 

My question is....
If the paid marketing Workspace has a paid power-up to sync cards... will it also sync the cards if changes are made in the FREE personal boards that are different accounts outside the paid Workspace?
   Meaning, does it sync both ways or only sync changes on the cards made in the paid Trello/workspace and not changes made in the free accounts?
    Or does every employee need a premium Trello or their personal accounts/boards and the same paid power-ups for it to sync both ways?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2023

Hi @Anna TB 

1. Not a straightforward answer, in theory if you are using a 3rd part solution to sync boards, it shouldn't matter if they are in different workspaces.  However bear in mind if the premium one uses premium features like advanced checklists or custom fields, this data would not port to the free boards and may even cause an error in the solution you use.  
  2. Unito is the only 1 that truly does 2-way sync
  3. Not everybody needs Trello premium for this, you would have to allow access to personal boards/workspaces by the connector you choose

Just check to make sure this is the right solution for you. 

Some of the no-code connectors are limited in capability for the free or lower cost options and can become quite costly.  They are also more complex to set-up and maintain.  I have also found with some clients using them that things break when there are API changes.

I would advise to stay in Trello, use the features that Trello has baked in as much as possible and use power-ups to fill in the gaps of functionality. 

You can actually use Trello automation to be able to sync cards between boards in different workspaces. Let me know if you're interested in me taking a look to discover the most efficient way of doing so

Anna TB May 4, 2023

Thank you for your input!

I would appreciate it to hear how we could sync cards between boards. 😊

I am also just wondering how other companies do this... do they create paid Trello accounts for each employee.... or create personal boards in the one paid account and workspace that for example has the main planning? Wouldn't that mean that everyone would need the same login credentials for the main account and thus have access to everything in that account (even things to which some should not have access too)?

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2023

I work as a Trello consultants and have clients across many industries.  

I believe that whatever software solution you use should work for you and you shouldn't have to manipulate your values, way of working or process in order to make it fit.  The software should also make the life of all users easier, not harder.  With that in mind, it comes down to how a company is structured, the context of the Trello board for its users, making sure they members have the information available to them without the noise of stuff that isn't relevant etc...

In your case, the members who are using boards in a personal space, are they members of the same team, who collaborate and work towards a common goal or is it a company set up where each individual is exactly that and their work doesn't cross over with others?

Anna TB May 4, 2023

Thank you for your quick reply. 
The situation is as follows....
We have a marketing team with 6 people (will expand) and each of us has a personal Trello planning where we work in separately. These are all free accounts. 

Then we have a paid Premium Trello account in which we have created a Workspace with two boards in which the whole team will be active (this is where our shared backlog is, our planning and meetings etc.)
Here our work will sometimes overlap, sometimes we might need to collaborate and be added to the same card), but only for marketing employees (no other departments).

The only ones using their individual boards are all on the same team (marketing) and all of us on the marketing team will be the only ones with access to the shared marketing boards. So on the team our work will cross over with each other.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events