Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop Push Notification Option Missing

Corinne Wood December 30, 2020

I set Trello up for a small team, and it currently includes my second Trello account and that of a co-worker. Our current notification system for project updates is outside of Trello, through email or Microsoft Teams, so we get notified immediately, but the notifications aren't linked to Trello cards as needed. Thus, for a successful transition to Trello, we need to set up desktop push notifications. 

I looked online, and found that to enable this, I should go to my profile, click Settings, and then "Enable desktop notifications." I went to my account, tried to click that link, and nothing happened. The link address just took me to the same page. I looked online again and clicked the secure button by the address bar for the board I want notifications for, and clicked "Allow" for notifications; however, when I used my second Trello account to mention my first personal Trello account, I didn't receive a desktop notification, just an in-app one. Also, with "allow" set up, the "Enable desktop notifications" link in my profile Settings is gone. I also tried allowing Adobe notifications. Please help me help my team! Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Cody C.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 31, 2020

You're on the right track! Clicking that button in Trello triggers your browser to ask you if you will accept notifications from Trello, but some browsers handle that differently than others.

If you're using Chrome, try going to Settings > Privacy & Security > Site Settings. Under Permissions, click Notifications.

From there, first confirm that "Sites can ask to send notifications" is enabled. Then check to see if Trello is on your Allow or Block list. It sounds like you've set it to "Allow" already, but double-check that to confirm!

You'll need to be logged in to your Trello account in at least one tab in your browser to get push notifications. If you logged out of your first account in order to log in to your second, that would be why you're not seeing desktop notifications for those @mentions. Try logging into your first account, then log in to your second Trello account in an incognito window or another browser, then mention your first account again to see if they come through.

Lastly, check your operating system settings to be sure you're not in some sort of "do not disturb" mode, and that system notifications are allowed for your Browser. 

If you're still having trouble, don't hesitate to get in touch with us through our contact form here and we can help troubleshoot further: https://trello.com/contact

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events