cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Due Time

Damon Wolf
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 10, 2019

Is there a way to change the default due time of 12:00PM within the "Due Date" of a card? I noticed that if you manually change the due time, then the next card will default to the new time. However, if you log out and then back in, it defaults back to 12:00PM. 

5 answers

1 vote
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2019

@Damon Wolf there isn't a way to change this, can you describe what you're trying to achieve by doing this? There might be another solution

Dylan Rodgers
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 22, 2020

I second Damon's ask. Having tasks automatically due at noon is somewhat odd. Ideally there would be a setting where one could set the due time and all subsequent cards moving forward would automatically have that due time.

For example, I want cards to be due by EOD at 5pm. I would love to be able to set that and a month down the road when I log in and create a new card, I want the due time to be 5pm.

Is that currently possible by other means?

Like # people like this
TP
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 26, 2020

Chiming in.  I had the same issue but used a power-up to create buttons where I could easily customize the time to be a particular time instead of the default 11:59..hope this helps.

Support
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 5, 2021

and what power up would that be?

Eva Galanes-Rosenbaum March 3, 2021

+1

Very annoying to have to manually type "5 PM" or "5:30 PM" each time the last-used time gets reset for any reason.

Like Kim Anderson likes this
Dawn Kuczwara
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 20, 2021

Couldn't agree more. This should be a setting at the board or even app level - a default time for all cards. Currently, it seems to be defaulting to 12 AM, which is even worse than noon for the default. If I forget to change, I come in first thing in the morning to find that everything due that day is already late. :/

So, @Iain Dooley , the answer to your question is simply we're looking for a way to set the default due date time so that it fits our personal workflows without having to change this every time, or at least every time it gets reset. A user story would look something like:

As a Trello board owner, I want to set a default time that is used for due dates on every card with a due date so that I don't need to check it or change it from the system default every time I set up a new card.

Like Kim Anderson likes this
Kim Anderson September 14, 2021

Same as Dawn, mine is set to Midnight! I think its very common also for people to mix up noon and midnight because our brain thinks "midnight = at night and night is PM" It's an honest mistake but very common. I still advocate for way to set a default time yourself, but seems like it would be a huge improvement if we had the same non-ability but the default set by random engineers at Atlassian to be 5:00PM (16:00)

James Hernandez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 26, 2023

Mine is randomly 8pm.

0 votes
Peter Thompson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 25, 2022

You can use the Rules feature of the Butler. For example, a rule may say, "when a card is added to the board, set due date to ____ ."

0 votes

This has now been causing issues with my manager. She is not actively managing my Trello just making sure she has a window on what i'm working on/priorities/due dates. When I explained the confusion over having to set a time for every single due date or allow the default to stay (which is common cuz I don't have time to schedule every single task, I just want them to be due "that day"). It makes it look like I'm not working hard enough to schedule deadlines and makes the calendar view for her very confusing.

Dawn Kuczwara
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 14, 2021

It seems to me, making this part of the due date optional would solve the problem. I don't know about you and your manager, but for me, I don't need a specific time that something needs to be done 99.9% of the time. I'm sure there are use cases for needing a time associated with a task, but that seems like more of an edge case than having to change the time every single time I go in.

Kim Anderson February 4, 2022

Yes, it is not often pertinent to have a due time during the day. But having everything look Red or overdue is not a great look. Also, makes it harder to pick out things that truly ARE overdue.

0 votes
WW
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 13, 2021

Mine is 12:00PM, so I usually receive the overdue notification at midnight which is not helpful at all, and changing the time for every task is annoying, it would be good that if we can customize the default due time. For example, I would prefer to set the default due time 9:00am which is the beginning each day when I'm in office.

Midnight is 12:00 AM. But your comment proves the point exactly that is a super confusing time either PM or AM to set the default! Atlassian, let people set a default like 5pm!

0 votes
John McGovern March 5, 2021

agree, currently going through this issue. Every task has a due date time of 11.59am - which does not help scheduling tasks. 

Kim Anderson August 12, 2021

Mine has a default of 12:00 AM! Are you sure yours isn't 11:59 PM to reflect that its "the end of that day"? I really wish i could set a default to avoid this confusion and put in like 5pm to show what is due by end of that work day. But the 12 AM language makes it seem like if I pick a date is it technically at the midnight that "starts" that day?? Atlassian, Avoid this confusion by letting people change the default.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events