Custom fields getting applied to all cards on a board when a card is moved to that board

Carrie Curtner October 18, 2018

I could have this use case not quite right, but it seems to me that if I create custom fields on board A, then I move a card from board A to board B, the custom fields from board A will now be applied to all cards on board B. That's not ideal. I'd like the fields to stay with the individual card as it moves from board to board, but if you have instances where cards from 5 different boards with 5 sets of custom fields could all be moved to 1 board, then that 1 board where all those cards from other boards ends up are going to have a ton of custom fields that don't make sense for those all of those cards, and the cards start to look overburdened with custom fields and are, therefore, harder to work with. 

4 answers

0 votes
Yasemin Manavbaşı September 18, 2022

Hi All,

Custom field problem....

I see the discussion is from previous years, I only hope that I can find a solution to my problem. 

I need to have different cards in ONE board. Meaning, cards with different custom fields.. 

I dont understand to use the same set of custom fields for ONE Board. Then whats the purpose of "make template" option. Well, I know that make template is thou, I need more flexibility than this. 

I need to have miscellenious fields in different cards. I cannot believe this is not possible.

I do hope that I overlooked a solution. How can I proceed  ?

Thanks in advance

y

lee.iles August 14, 2023

+1

0 votes
Keruchan September 24, 2021

There is an easy way for developers to fix this not to mention would be pretty clever too. 

In which to apply the same nature of Free and Premium workplace.

When you move or copy a card from premium workplace to a free workplace. 

The custom field will be hidden. 

-------

So why would a single card over written the board it sent to? 

It should be the other way around right? 

If the board doesn't have that custom field in it should be forced to hide. 

Unless trello is deliberately program it to mess us up.

I wish they added such option on premium. An option where you can decide to hide custom field that are not defined on the board.

Or atleast make it possible to add a rule. 

In which 

When a card is added to a board from any board that contains custom fields convert to text and added to description. 

0 votes
marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2018

@Carrie CurtnerIn Trello, custom fields are defined per board.  That means all cards on a board have the same custom fields.  So, if you move a card to a new board, the new card's custom fields get added to the board's custom fields.

Please have a look here: https://help.trello.com/article/1067-using-the-custom-fields-power-up under the heading "Moving Cards with Custom Fields" for more information.

Carrie Curtner October 19, 2018

Thanks for the clarification, @marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-. This is less than ideal for the way our team moves things from board to board, it results in, sometimes, 20+ custom fields on the board we have in which all individual team boards converge, with only a small percentage of those cards needing all fields. I can see both sides of this being good or less than good UX, and you're not going to make everyone happy, I guess. 

Thanks again for the response, though. It's helpful.  

pdiez November 1, 2018

I agree with @Carrie Curtner as well.

I think everyone understands how it currently operates. 

However, given the way it currently operates, this confuses the direction and bloats other boards that have different purposes. If I have a "Bug" board with custom fields for its cards and then want to assign a bug over to another board, that whole board becomes comprised with all the "Bug" boards custom fields. 

It makes sense for the parent/defining board to have all of its cards with every custom field defined, but the moment it moves to another board, that board shouldn't adopt all the custom fields from the originating board. (In my opinion)

Also, if they were to make a change, I can't think of way how this would be detrimental to other boards.

You could apply flag settings, for example: adopt customer fields from board "some board name" [ x ].

This is similar to how you currently create checklists. 

Paul

Keruchan September 25, 2021

This is so out of character if trello is a character the audience will be disappointed for acting the other way.

When you move a card with custom field in premium to free workspace the custom field are forced to hide. 

Now when you move a card on a board to another board, the card acts like a virus and infect the whole board.

That's totally unexpected. 

It's totally out of character. 

At first I expect the card (from board A) to forcibly hide its custom field that are not defined by board B. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2018

A board is not a container for issues, it is a view of a set of them, so you do not "move a card from one board to another".  

Because they are a view, when you configure a board in one way, it is going to display all the issues it selects in the same way.

Keruchan September 24, 2021

I think this is one of the biggest turn off on the build-in custom field in trello.

There is this amazing-field power up that can do better by hiding the field in cards. 

The downside is that it is not compatible with your android app. 

It doesn't show in android app. 

-----

How about the upcoming build in mirroring?

Would custom field be messing up the other board? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events