Critical path and linked dates

Emma Tysvaer January 17, 2022

I have added all my project activities to my trello board and have the dependencies identified within required cards. Is there a power up that will update the dates where dependencies have been identified on applicable cards?   As currently if a date is missed i have to go into each dependent card and update the dates individually. 

1 answer

1 vote
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2022

yes i am after exactly the same as you.  we have lots of cards in a board that have dependencies and it is far too time consuming to update each card manually.  I will add to and follow your post, also if I find a way I will let you know.

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2022

@Emma Tysvaer 

I modified the code from a custom power up to be used via a http request.

While I have the input parameters on the same board, it can be a card from another board.

The override days can be just a single entry, a series of comma separated entries = or < than number of dependencies, etc

@milynnus  thanks for your response, I am quite new to Trello myself and i'm not sure what this is telling me.  I want a tool that auto updates any dates that are impacted by a card that is delayed, so when i push back the due date it automatically pushes back those dates of the cards that are dependent.

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2022

@Emma Tysvaer 

You might want to go through this tutorial

https://help.trello.com/article/1165-task-dependencies

I made a quick video to illustrate the difference between

(1) effecting the same date change on dependent tasks vs

(2) cascade date changes across dependent tasks based on days between tasks

https://youtu.be/up8Si2WjfBs

Like Felix likes this
Emma Tysvaer January 20, 2022

Thanks for this I will look into that - so when subtask 1 moves or is delivered last the subsequent sub tasks are pushed back.  But i am therefore assuming you need 1 card with all dependent tasks listed on the checklist to start off with?

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2022

@Emma Tysvaer 

What I have illustrated is a way to cascade the date changes across dependent tasks(2) and how to bump dates ie adjust dates by same amount (1).

It not dynamic and does not automatically adjust downstream dates based on completion of a upstream task. There is no way for the system to dictate how work will actually be performed by the various actors. 

You should be able make to use the due/start due and then invoke the endpoint to compute the new dates.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events