Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating and deleting Trello cards from Excel data

Troy_Sherven May 26, 2020

I'm looking at using Trello to display our daily production schedule in a manufacturing facility.  Trello would contain lists for each piece of manufacturing equipment, and I would like to have a card displayed for each task for each machine.

I have all of my data in an Excel spreadsheet.  The spreadsheet is updated one time per day.  I want the ability for Trello to delete all previous cards, and update it by pulling in the data from the spreadsheet.  Basically, once a day, I want Trello to display the contents of the spreadsheet.  

I looked at Zapier to automate the process.  It wasn't able to delete the cards in Trello.  It was only able to add new ones.  

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2 answers

1 vote
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2020

@Troy_Sherven you could do this with Trellinator by importing your data into a Google Sheet, and then using that to trigger an import from the spreadsheet into each list. The code would look something like:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/a8f5f90ba46b52eaac05505a4b0ffca7

You can read more about Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

0 votes
Antonio Panea
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2020

Hi @Troy_Sherven ,

Toni here to help! You can archive the cards with Zapier which means they are not showed in the board anymore. It would work for you?

Cheers

Toni

Hi Toni,  thanks for the response.  Archiving the cards would work, but they would all need to be archived each day.  Using Zapier, would it be possible to archive all of my cards, then import the data from my spreadsheet?  This would only need to be done once a day.  

Would I manually trigger the archive process and the import process?  Could I write one workflow that would do both functions?

Thanks again!

Antonio Panea
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2020

Hi @Troy_Sherven ,

I am afraid you can not do that with Zapier since is not reading from an spreadsheet in bulk and neither filtered depending on parameters.

Nevertheless changing the status of your tasks in excel could be a trigger in Zapier for archiving a card in your Trello board. What do you think?

Hope it helps!

Toni

The issue I have is that I'm planning on using Trello just to display my daily tasks.  Every day my spreadsheet will have new tasks.  The tasks from the previous day will not be listed on my spreadsheet. 

Trello will be on a large monitor for workers to view.  No one will have any interaction with the cards to mark them as complete.  

Even if I can't automate the process of archiving the cards, is there a way to bulk archive all cards directly in Trello?  I've found a way to archive all cards on a list, but not all cards on a board.

Antonio Panea
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 27, 2020

Hi @Troy_Sherven ,

sorry but I couldn’t give you a better solution with Zapier. Nevertheless what @Iain Dooley said it will solve your problem for sure! Thanks @Iain Dooley for jumping here to help!

Stay safe!

Toni

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events