Creating a card with name decided by info in another card

Isak Gunnarsson November 30, 2021

Hi!

I am using trello as my GTD system (omg it works so well). Now I am in the process of automating stuff and found something I so far havent been able to do.
Is it possible to make so a new card is created when I move a card to done?

Example: card named "buy new bed" is marked as complete and therefore spawns a card named "install bed in bedroom" in my list "IN".

If this isn't possible can I make it so checklist on a card turns into cards that is created in when the one over it is completed?

Love this platform and now it's just the tweaking!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2021

Hi Isak! Adding on from what Laura posted:

Auto-create a new card when a card containing a phrase is moved to the "Done" list.

Would there be any sort of logic around this, or is it more ad-hoc? As in, are there patterns that you could re-use and apply to many cards? If so, I'd recommend using Butler to automate that process. If it's quite random and different every time, it'll probably be easier to just manually create the card, rather than creating a bunch of Butler automations to try and cover every case. 

If there is some sort of pattern, the automation could look something like this:
butler automation.PNG

So, let's say a card called "Side Table - Bedroom" is moved to the Done list, what's going to happen is a new card called "Setup Side Table - Bedroom" will be created in the To Do list and it will get the Bedroom label, a set checklist taken from a template card. 

The trigger is based on the title of the card containing a specific word, but it could be based on something else e.g. if a card with the "Bedroom" label is moved to the done list - this would most likely be an easier way to approach this.

How I would approach it though 😃
What you're talking about sounds more like subtasks, so the larger task is to "Setup a Side Table", and then you have sort of dependencies that are "Buy side table", "Buy tools", etc. I would personally approach things differently rather than doing the automation suggested above. Potentially you want to have it so the card represents the task of setting up a side table, and the checklist within the card are all the little things you need to do in order to set it up. 

What I would do is create a list for the larger projects or milestones, and then add all the little dependencies in those milestone cards as a checklist. You can then use Butler automation to turn those checkitems into cards and have then added to a different list, so it looks something like this (kinda similar to the 2nd idea you mentioned):
dependencies.PNG

You can then set things up so that when you move a card in the tasks lists to "Done", it checks off the checkitem in the milestone card.

Happy to provide more info on this method if this looks like the workflow you want to set up. You're welcome to book a free call with me here: https://calendly.com/simpla-worfklows-hannahm/intro

-- Hannah Morgan | Simpla Workflows

1 vote
Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2021

Hi @Isak Gunnarsson ðŸ‘‹

Welcome to the Community! You've got some great questions and the short answer is yes, a longer one and perhaps an interesting read for you is this Trello blog on Workflow Automation with Butler. The examples below illustrate a small proportion of what you can do with automation... 

Example Use Cases For Rules

• Get an overview of your team’s work getting done across all of your boards in a single place. For example, set a rule on each of your team boards to make a copy of every card that is moved to a board’s Done list to the team overview board.

• When a card is created in a "To Do" list, add the "Steps" checklist so that you don’t miss a beat.

• When someone is added to a card, have Butler automagically set the due date to five working days in the future and post comments like, "I got this." What a team player!

• When you enter a card name ending with a date, set the card to be due on that date. Perfect for when emailing cards to your board.

• When the checklist "Phase 1 Steps" is completed by anyone, move the card to list "Phase 2" and add checklist "Phase 2 Steps." As they say, process makes perfect.

Here's an example of the rule I quickly mocked up on my board which answers your first question...

Screenshot 2021-11-30 at 15.15.31.png

Another useful article to read is Trello's 'Creating and managing Butler commands' support page. 

I hope this helps but if you have any other questions just shout 😃

All the best,

Laura

Isak Gunnarsson December 2, 2021

Thanks this does something different but still very useful!

Will do this by hand then think that will be faster!

Like • Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_ likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events