Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Recurring Cards with Butler

Andrew Doumith September 6, 2018

Trello Community,

I have a nice board where I organize my social media calendar for my business in great detail. Every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday contain the same type of post (with a different Card Name and description). Thursdays contain the same type of post with a different card name every week and different description. 

I'm looking for a power up that'll allow me to quickly Copy Cards repeatedly across many, many weeks without having to manually click Copy on a sample Card and drag the due date to a later (appropriate date). I understand that the Butler power up's card repeater function allows for the Card to reappear again every Tuesday. However, is there a way for a NEW CARD to be created automatically for future weeks (due dates in future weeks)? If the answer is yes, I'll definitely upgrade to Gold to take advantage of this power up feature. 

P.S. I currently only use the Calendar power up. 

Thank you,

Andrew

1 answer

0 votes
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2018

Hey Andrew, have you tried Trello's card repeater? There's a blog article about it here, and it might meet your use case requirements. 

I think social media scheduling is incredibly important, and I hope this works out for you!

https://blog.trello.com/trello-card-repeater

There are additional services as well, so if you let me know which features are missing, I may be able to assist you. 

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2018

PS (give the powerup a try on a test board)

Andrew Doumith September 7, 2018

Hello Meg,

Thank you for your detailed reply. I did look at the Card Repeater Power Up. It seems that the problem is how it works. It seems that the Repeater power up only creates the new (repeated) card only on the day of the repeat. I can't see much use for this. Whereas, in my case, I need all the repeating cards to be created at once for a specific date range. For example, I am currently trying to create our marketing camapign from today until Dec 31st. This will entail things like: 

- Different types of social media posts every day. It'll require the same card every day, which will contain a modified description (different post captions will be different per card). What I need is to create the same card for every day upfront, then I can go into each and insert things like Artwork, Captions, and Facebook Boost Spend in the description of each.

- Monthly newspaper Ads - again, all the cards for each month need to be created upfront (not on the Card due date) because these need to be planned ahead of time. 

- Monthly radio Ads - Different scripts per card - need to be planned ahead of time. 

Also, these repeated cards should be placed with the correct Due Date, so that they're placed on my calendar correctly.

How can I go about this?

It seems that the Card Repeater power up sets the Due Date as whatever the card being repeated is instead of the actual intended due date of the Card (date of social media post, etc.). This will mean I'll have to go into each individual card to modify the due date to what's appropriate. 

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 7, 2018

Hey Andrew, 

Thanks for clarifying your needs, I understand a bit more what you're asking. Essentially you're looking not just for a card copying mechanism, but basically a way to 'batch' create jobs within certain parameters.

I think Butler and Card Repeater were designed with recurring tasks in mind that happen in progressive timeframes. Let me think about this for a bit and get back to you with any solutions I have. 

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 7, 2018

Doing some quick searches, it looks like there are a number of tools that can take spreadsheets and import cards to Trello. There's varying levels of technical ability involved with each. 

I can suggest a few of the services if you have any interest? 

Hoping someone else chimes in with other solutions that I may not be aware of. 

Meg,

Thank you for your assistance. That is right. Initially all of the Card will be intended to be the same (as a template), then myself and other another member of the marketing team will go into each card to add more specific details. I don't quite understand what type of use Card Repeater will be if this isn't the case. How can the Card Repeater be used for things like marketing if this wasn't the usage of it?

Please do recommend the best services to take spreadsheets and import them into Trello Cards. That may be a solution to this problem, and may be a quicker solution to copy all those cards with the appropriate due dates. 

I'm also in hopes that someone else may have an easier workaround for this here. Is there somewhere else I can post this question?

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 7, 2018

Hey Andrew, 

I can't personally speak to the business use cases of repeater, but every Trello instance is a snowflake, so I'm sure there are many. 

Here is an article regarding importing to Trello that mentions two specific applications: Zapier and Import2Wizard

https://help.trello.com/article/751-importing-data-into-trello

Tagging @Jodi LeBlanc - because she's a Trello queen. 

Thank you. I'll check out the article.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2018

Thanks for your kind words Meg :) I have used card repeater, but it can get a bit quirky. For example when I have tried to stop the repeating, it kept going for a few more weeks. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events