Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a custom button to send an email notification when pressed

Anirbit Ghosh October 4, 2021

I have been successful in using the Zapier power-up to automate sending emails whenever a card is moved/updated. I was wondering if it is possible to do the same but upon pressing a button on the card instead of actually moving the card across lists. I do not want the card to be moved in order to send an email automatically, instead have a button, "Notify Customer", on the card itself which will send out email notification about the card's status whenever it is pressed.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dan Ivory
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 4, 2021

Hey @Anirbit Ghosh 

Yes this should be possible with Butler using a card button and a "send email" action. 

Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 13.57.05.png

However I am wondering how you will store the customer's email address. Do you have access to Custom Fields (you need to be on Trello Standard, Premium or Enterprise for this)? 

Once I know that I can show you the rest of the Butler set up :) 

Thanks,
Dan

Anirbit Ghosh October 4, 2021

Hi @Dan Ivory _Orah Apps_ ,

Thank you so much for your answer. 
Yes, I do have access to custom fields and have a custom "Email"  field in each card to store each customer's email addresses. 

Dan Ivory
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 4, 2021

Hi @Anirbit Ghosh 

No worries! Cool so you could set up some variable fields to fill in the information you have stored in custom fields to be included in the email you want to send. 

Here is the list of variables you can pick and choose to include in the subject line or body of the email.... https://help.trello.com/article/1157-variables or for custom fields see https://help.trello.com/article/1160-custom-field-variables#custom-field-variables

Note the {{ }} double brackets for custom fields vs { } single brackets for other fields (I think this is correct but might need testing).

Here is an example I set up. Note for the custom field variables it would normally be {{customfieldname}} or {{customfieldvalue}}. But I swapped these to try and make it clearer what I was doing.

Also I assumed you are defining "Status" as what list the card is in. But if you are using Labels instead you can try {cardlabels}.

Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 18.55.20.png

Written out so you can copy and paste:

Subject: Status update for {{%Name of Custom Field containing customer's name}}

Body:  
Hello,

Here is a status update for {{%Name of Custom Field containing customer's name}}. Your project is now at the {cardlistname} stage.

Kind regards,
XYZ

Hope this makes sense. I've not tested it but it should work, might need some tweaking and test emails sent to yourself. 

Let me know if you get stuck and Ill try to test it fully.

Cheers!

Dan

Anirbit Ghosh October 5, 2021

Hi @Dan Ivory _Orah Apps_ ,

This solution worked perfectly for me. 
Really appreciate you taking your time to help in such great detail, it made it very easy to follow, thank you so much. 

Cheers!

Anirbit 

Dan Ivory
Marketplace Partner
October 6, 2021

Great news! Glad it worked well for you @Anirbit Ghosh !

If you're keen to learn some more Trello tips and tricks check out our YouTube channel here https://www.youtube.com/c/orahapps

or our blog https://www.orahapps.com/resources/blog

I might make a tutorial with this example 😃

Dan

0 votes
Alex Chavel February 23, 2023

Old thread i know!

This worked for us, but I'm wondering if there is a way to Add a signature to these button emails, and also change the "FROM" email at the top, it currently shows my username instead of the company name.

It also show a message at the bottom saying ALEX CHAVEL setup this butler, plus a huge trello logo, wondering if this can all be customized or removed all together.

David E_ Lanau
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 1, 2024

Were you able to resolve this?
I would like to change the trello logo to that of my company and remove the "Login trello"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events