Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a card without going into a board

Eric Woehrling June 16, 2020

Hi, we're using Workboard but trying Trello. In WB you can create a task (equivalent of Trello card) and then assign it to a Workstream (equivalent of Trello board). That's useful because you often think of a task and want to jot it down before you think of where to categorise it. It seems that in Trello you have to go into the board before you create a card. When you hit the + button it lets you create a board or a team but not a card. Am I missing something?

2 answers

1 vote
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2020

Board is a container for list and cards. So you need a board created. More challenging is how to create a card. I am using Wayscript and user can use their form module to capture the fields to populate the card including an attachment (though I have not tried it it) Wayscript has a Trello module that will add the form data into the card. Custom Field need some programming. 

Working with Trello on iOS as @Iain Dooley says is a breeze.

Eric Woehrling June 22, 2020

Thanks SGI. I understand that you need to add a card to a board, that's no problem. What I want to be able to do is to create a card and then select which board it belongs to. You can do that in Workboard so I thought it should be possible in Trello. 

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2020

@Eric Woehrling there's various ways to create cards without going into a board, but it depends on your platform:

1) Using the Mac or Windows desktop apps you can have a shortcut key to add a card from anywhere

2) On iOS or Android you can use the widget to create a card without opening to Trello

3) Not sure about Android, but on iOS you can use Siri shortcuts to create a Trello card via voice command

Thanks Ian, sorry for late reply to your reply. 

1) Can you provide a link to an article showing me how to create such a shortcut?

2) It's not a question of creating a card without opening Trello, just within Trello to create a card without first choosing a board

Thanks again,

Eric

Like Iain Dooley likes this
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2020

@Eric Woehrling here you go:

https://blog.trello.com/trello-desktop-app-for-mac-and-windows#:~:text=Click%20the%20gear%20icon%20in,with%20one%20of%20these%20shortcuts.

You can also do this from the mobile app, so basically the only place you can't create a card and choose which board it belongs to is the web app, the desktop and mobile apps allow you to do it.

Thanks Ian,

I'm still a bit confused. I downloaded the Trello desktop app and followed those steps. I found the "Quick Add Shortcut" which promises to let you "choose a combination of keys below to create a card from anywhere." The problem is that the field is not editable so I can't choose anything. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Eric

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2020

@Eric Woehrling Hmmm I'm not sure! I don't use the desktop app and have never attempted to use that function, I'll see if I can loop someone in here from the Atlassian team ... 

Thank you Iain (sorry for misspelling your name in the previous email) 

ManuR
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 23, 2020

Hi @titanicit 

I'm Manu from the Trello Support team. 

Normally, you should be able to click on the "Set" button in that Quick Add Shortcut section and you'll then be able to use your preferred combination of keys from the one displayed in that field normally.

Once you have pressed these keys, the field should automatically update itself (highlighting the keys that matched your combination) and you can then use this key combination to display the card creation wizard afterwards.

The "Space" key will always be included in the key combination normally.

Like # people like this
Eric Woehrling June 23, 2020

Thanks Manu. That worked.

This should be easy and intuitive you guys have managed to make it supercomplicated. "Set" looks like it means save the combination you just created. You use "^" to represent what appears as "Ctrl" on a non-Apple keyboard. These are unforced errors.

You need a button that says "Create" or something like that and then that button should be changed to "Save" (in both cases you can cancel)

It's  not clear that you hold down the keys you select and then push the space bar with those keys held down. Obvious point that needs to be made.

Finally, I don't know why you guys don't just include "Create card" under the plus sign along with "Create board" and "Create team" - that would make life so simple 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events