Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Card templates - essentially two different card templates with different custom fields

Natasha Steedman August 26, 2019

Hello

I am wanting to create two different card templates.  One that provides different information around various roles (more like an information card) and then a standard card for workflow etc.

Is this possible using any of the power ups?  

Thanks

3 answers

1 vote
carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2019

@Natasha Steedman We use the Butler Power Up to do this in two different ways:

Version 1:

1. We have a Template board with various on-boarding cards set up for our projects. 
  2. When we add a new project, we create a card under a "New Projects" list on our Project board. 
  3. Butler then copies all cards from the Template board to our Projects board and labels them to match the new project card. 

Version 2:

1. I have a board used for my personal book collection (to track what I've read, own, want to read).
  2. In this board, I have a list with my rating system and a "Book Template" card.
  3. When I want to add a new book, I use Butler Board Command to copy the "Book Template" card from the list and place it in my "Books I Want to Read" list. 
  4. Then I can fill in all the blanks from my template without having to create them each time.

I think either option would work for you. Here's the link to Butler's Power Up page for more information. It may be some trial and error with getting things set up. 

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2019

Nice workarounds using Butler @carrie_eandm ! 👏🤓

carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2019

@Andy - PTC Redundant Thanks! We're huge Butler fans and have been on board before they became popular (when it was a Bot, not the Power Up). 

There's so many possibilities with it!

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2019

@carrie_eandm : Hah hah! You're welcome! Wow... "Bot"... haven't seen that word in a while! Yes, there are so many possibilities. Sound like you guys are making really good use of it!

Natasha Steedman August 28, 2019

Thank for the response, I am already using Butler.  This doesn't solve what I am trying to do which is display different fields on the backs of different cards.  We aren't using Trello what I would call a conventional project style of working.  Cheers :)

Like Sara Lynch likes this
0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2019

@Natasha Steedman custom fields are on a per board basis. If you want different custom fields on different types of cards, put the cards on different boards. If you're worried that you'll lose track of different boards, just create a board to hold cards that link to each sub-board, then star that board so you have a kind of "board of boards" overview of the different boards that hold the various custom fields.

Natasha Steedman August 29, 2019

Thanks for the workaround but yes I understood this already.  I need card templates on one board. 

Cheers

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2019

@Natasha Steedman If you want them all on one board, is there any reason you can't just store the information in the card description in a semi-structured format?

Natasha Steedman August 29, 2019

Custom fields show on the card front - which is what I require.

Also custom fields can be used with Butler for rules.

Its clear this can't be done so all good.

Cheers

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2019

@Natasha Steedman Hmm well depending on whether you can use a mix of custom fields and labels to display state on the front of the card something like this might work:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/77bb232c6a04f52bf3e39b186a7fec41

I've done similar implementations for some of my clients using Trellinator:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-articles/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

It's not feasible to use labels to display information that changes per card, but if you wanted to display some information uniformly for all cards using custom fields (such as name/email or something) then use labels and due dates to display category/state information then you could do so based on the description.

0 votes
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2019

@Natasha Steedman : that's a bit of an irritating one (I need them too!) because it used to be possible but doesn't seem to work any more:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-questions/Create-template-trello-card/qaq-p/885720

From the Trello team Power ups Card Repeater is available but I don't think it will satisfy your need.

https://help.trello.com/article/1068-using-the-card-repeater-power-up

There are no 3rd party Power ups for Card Templates (that I know of!)

Maybe worth reaching out to Trello product management with a feature request...?

Natasha Steedman August 28, 2019

Thanks for responding.

I've pretty much looked at most power-ups (took a while!).

I am sure this must be a thing that many people want to do.

Cheers
Natasha

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events