Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting checklist items into cards and renaming the cards

Deleted user July 30, 2019

Hi,

I'm trying to rename cards created from the following command (rules in Butler) :

when the "Task dispatch" item is checked in a checklist named "Checklist Projects" by me, remove all the incomplete items from checklist "Checklist add task", convert all the complete items in checklist "Checklist add task" into linked cards in list "Task to do", for each card linked from an item in checklist "Checklist add task", link the cards together

Basically, that works really well. It creates cards into another list that are linked to the checklist and also added as linked cards. Do not ask me why we need the double link....... ;)

If I add : using pattern "{triggercardname} {cardname}" in the action "convert all the complete items..." (convert all the complete items in checklist "Checklist add task" into linked cards in list "Task to do"using pattern "{triggercardname} {cardname}") that doesn't change the newly created cards' names but it changes the items' names. That's not what I want. As per post https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-questions/I-m-trying-to-use-the-variable-sourcecardname-when-converting-a/qaq-p/1038608 it seems that it works for a single item converted. But when you use convert all, it doesn't.

I want the newly created cards to be renamed with the orignal name of the card followed by the name of the item :

Card X
List Y
Item 1
Item 2
Item 3

The cards should be named Card X Item 1, Card X Item 2, etc. Instead of that the items are renamed Card X Item 1,2,3, and therefore lose the link to the new card. I don't want the item to be renamed only the new cards!

Does someone have an explanation for this or a way to get around that and rename the cards ? I tried to rename the card when they get into the list "Task to do" but the {triggercardname} lose its value therefore renaming the card Item 1 Item 1. Also tried {sourcecardname} which does nothing.

Please help!!! Thanks!!!

4 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
André Winger May 19, 2023

Hi, 

This thread is a few years in now. 
Having the same issues and Eric's solution doesn't really do it for me. 

As an interim solution that I'm not very happy with I've solved it like this: 

when an item is added to checklist "Produktion", add item "{triggercardname} - {checklistitemname}" to checklist "Produktion"

This means that a new item with the correct naming is in place and ready to be created as it's own card linked back to the item in the checklist (which is done through another automation) but the one adding the original item needs to manually remove that. 

Any suggestion how to make this better or at least remove the manual action of removing the original item? 

Cause the "using pattern" doesn't seem to work still a few years later. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user August 2, 2019

Found myself how to bypass the  "using pattern "{triggercardname} {cardname}" " that doesn't work at all.

Just added a little line at the end :

when the "Task dispatch" item is checked in a checklist named "Checklist Projects" by me, remove all the incomplete items from checklist "Checklist add task", convert all the complete items in checklist "Checklist add task" into linked cards in list "Task to do", for each card linked from an item in checklist "Checklist add task", link the cards together, and rename the card to "{triggercardname} {cardname}"

It now works flawlessly.

Garrett
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2019

Hey @[deleted] 

You beat me to it, that was going to be my exact recommendation!

Currently the pattern in the link action doesn't rename those new cards, but adding in a "for each" step followed by the rename action works, as you've found!

Cheers!

0 votes
Anamika Basu February 21, 2021

Hi I tried the solution and it's not working for me! At the moment the the renaming part isn't changing anything - what am I doing wrong?

"when an item is added to checklist "Doing", convert the item to a linked card copying labels, for each card linked from an item in checklist "Doing", rename the card to "{triggercardname} {cardname}""

Thank you!

0 votes
Matt Geerdes November 23, 2020

Hello Eric,  

I'm trying to do the same thing as you, "Converting checklist items into cards and renaming the cards"  but failing?  My code is below, would you mind sharing your code please?  Thank You! Matt

when a card with the red "TOOLS OUT" label is added to list "Today", convert all the items in checklist "Tools Out of Warehouse" into linked cards in list "TOOLS OUT" using pattern "{triggercardname} {cardname}" copying labels

Garrett
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2020

Hey Matt, just following up on this one here since you and I talked over email. The same solution that worked for Eric is what we were able to get set for you as well.

Cheers!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events