Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloning a Trello card

Emily Gibson February 1, 2019

I have a board that tracks nine activities. Each activity has an "In Progress" list and "Completed" list. Rather than allow members to move cards between activities, I would like to clone cards when they are moved to the "Completed" lists, and send the cloned cards to the relevant "In Progress" lists. This way, we will have a record of completed activities, I will have more control over how cards are moved between activities, simplify member roles (I'm working with a lot of older folk who find Trello a little overwhelming), and be able to work on more than one activity at once. Any help is appreciated!!

2 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2019

@Emily Gibson hi there, as @Denise mentioned this is something you could do with Butler, but you can't currently create a new Butler account. Are you already a user?

If not, you can use Trellinator for this. I don't quite understand the exact workflow you're after but the code to copy a card to In Progress when it's moved to Completed would be:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/764b5b1a5a38f2c8a15c4c2069ace54c

Setup instructions for Trellinator are here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-articles/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Emily Gibson February 8, 2019

Hi Iain,

I had a go at Trellinator. Successfully made it to the step where Trellinator responds to a comment on a card. Struggled thereafter. I noticed that you mentioned Upwork in a comment to your instructions. I may have to give them a try, or find someone else at my organization with more techy smarts. But thanks so much for giving me somewhere to start from! 

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2019

@Emily Gibson congrats on getting that far! If you just share that spreadsheet with trial@benkoboard.com I can install the code for you -- then all you have to do is republish the web app and add the trellinator user to any boards where you want this behaviour to occur.

You'd use a similar set up with a freelancer -- they would run through the Trellinator setup in their own account, then you'd test the behaviour in a demo board. If you shared your Trellinator sheet with them, they could then install the code and you could publish it.

There are other ways to work with a freelancer to write Trellinator code but that's the simplest.

0 votes
Denise
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2019

Hi Emily,

That sounds like something the Butler Power-Up should be able to help with. As we work on completing the acquisition we can't accept new user but will soo.

If you need to implement that sooner, you could also consider setting up an automation via a service like Zapier

Emily Gibson February 8, 2019

Hi Denise, 

Thanks so much for your help. I finally had a chance to play around with Zapier today. It seems like it should do what I need, I'm just struggling to understand how it works. I'll keep slogging though, and see if I can't make some sense of it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events