Clickable links not rendering in Yahoo! Mail

Lena Weichert April 15, 2022

As outlined in this blog post by Ben Nadel, Yahoo mail doesn't render anchor tags with encoded HREF attributes.

When I try to send links to cards over Butler with 

[{cardname}]({cardlink})

the raw email link looks like this:

<a href=3D"https:&#x2F;&#x2F;trello.com&#x2F;c&#x2F;hf=
Sy4j1P">TEST CARD</a>

Links render fine in Gmail, and if I forward the mail from my Gmail account manually to my yahoo, the raw message looks like this instead:

<a href=3D"https://trello.com/c/hfSy4j1P" target=3D"_blank">TEST CAR=
D</a>

It is the same with the "Click here to unsubscribe", but links in emails directly from do-not-reply@trello.com aren't encoded like this.

Is there any way to alleviate this issue?

2 answers

0 votes
DanTheStampManCom , Inc
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 30, 2023

Yahoo requires a full html clickable link such as<a href="url">link text</a>. If you just sent a raw URL it will not display it as a link. 

0 votes
Alex Waite
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2022

Hi @Lena Weichert - unfortunately it sounds like this is more of a Yahoo issue than a Trello issue. Have you tried reaching out to Yahoo with this issue? 

@Felix - can you confirm there's nothing we can do here on Trello's end? 

Felix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 19, 2022

Hey @Lena Weichert @Alex Waite

thanks for raising this. I've created an internal issue for the team to look into fixing this. It's unfortunate Yahoo! Mail handles links like this - as Ben pointed out in his blog, it's valid HTML, and other mail clients have no problems with it - nonetheless I think we can implement the workaround that's described in the blog in Butler too.

In the meantime, until we can fix this in Butler, you might be able to add the link to the email like:

[{cardname}]({cardlink}) - {cardlink}

I'm not sure how Yahoo! Mail handles links that are not inside an anchor. GMail seems to hyperlink them in the client.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events