Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Character limit for Checklist Titles using Butler?

ttodd April 27, 2021

I've been running into this issue while building out a new board: I set up a template card with checklists and name those checklists, for example, a checklist titled "Ready For Editorial Review." 

The problem occurs when I try to set up a Butler rule using this Checklist Title. For example, when a certain item is checked on the "Ready For Editorial" checklist, I would like the card to move to a new list. I'm finding that this simple command won't run. 

After a bit of troubleshooting, I changed the checklist name from "Ready For Editorial" to "Editorial Review" and updated the Butler rule. The command still didn't run. 

Finally, I changed the checklist name from "Editorial Review" to "Ed Review" and updated the Butler rule. The command ran as expected this time. 

I've been able to recreate this issue multiple times and the only solution I've found is shortening the Checklist Title. This seems like a bug, but has anyone had the same problem? Is there a character limit for Checklist Titles that are used in Butler commands? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Felix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2021

Hey @ttodd ,

I just tried setting up a rule like you suggested, and it definitely works for me, even with the longest of checklist titles. Could you post the whole command?

ttodd April 28, 2021

Hey @Felix

Here's the rule I used originally that did not work: 

when the "Send To Ready For Upload" item is checked in a checklist named "Ready For Editorial Checklist", move the card to the bottom of list "🖥️ Ready For Upload" on board "Programming Content Workflow"

Second, I tried: 

when the "Send To Ready For Upload" item is checked in a checklist named "Editorial Review", move the card to the bottom of list "🖥️ Ready For Upload" on board "Programming Content Workflow"

Finally, this worked: 

when the "Send To Ready For Upload" item is checked in a checklist named "Ed Review", move the card to the bottom of list "🖥️ Ready For Upload" on board "Programming Content Workflow"

---

An update, I tried again this morning and the below rule worked. This one didn't work yesterday so the bug (if it is a bug), seems to be inconsistent. 

when the "Send To Ready For Upload" item is checked in a checklist named "Editorial Review", move the card to the bottom of list "🖥️ Ready For Upload" on board "Programming Content Workflow"

--- 

As mentioned, I ran into this issue when trying to set up Butler rules around several other checklists and each time, I could only get it to work by shortening the checklist name significantly. 

Felix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2021

Hmm so I've tried the first (longest checklist name) version of the command, and it definitely works for me.

I did find an easy to miss way to break this though: If you're typing the checklist name, and you accidentally add an extra space at the end of it, it's not trimmed off, and the checklist name will no longer match the one defined in the rule (and the rule won't trigger). Maybe that's what was happening?

Same goes for the checklist item name.

ttodd April 30, 2021

@Felix I was definitely troubleshooting with the space at the end of the checklist name (keeping it and deleting it) when I was trying to set this up. It's definitely possible this happened though since I was setting up a lot of rules at once. Since this isn't a known issue, I'm guessing I went wrong with something like what you mentioned! Thanks for the help! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events