Card moving and due dates

Всеволод Гиренко March 25, 2020

Hey,

I understand completely that there were a lot of this sort of questions here, but I just can't find straight answer. I think it's more about Kanban than Trello. 

I have the most simpe way of using Trello for my team: 3 lists (to-do, doing, done) and can't understand the right method. So, these are questions that I really need help with:

1. When should I add a "to-do" card? I know that I will have a task in a few weeks, but should I add it now or wait? And if I should wait, then what is the right timing for it?

2. When should I move my "to-do" card to "doing" list? For example, I have to do a task this week, but I didn't actually start working on it. Should I move it when it's in my plan or only when I actually start doing a task? 

3. What if my due date is missed? I really want to know what tasks I failed to complete in time and exactly how much time I spent over due date, but when I click "complete" it looks like I did it in time (which I didn't). 

Thank you very much for your help. If I'm asking in the wrong place, so please direct me to the right one. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2020

@Всеволод Гиренко to answer your questions one-by-one:

1. The way I think about this is that the work has been agreed upon, that is "we have decided that this stuff needs to get done"

2. I move things to Doing, when I've decided that I will start work on this thing, it is an active task, being discussed and worked on now

3. You can see the difference between the due date and the date on which the due date was marked complete in the card activity feed, but you could also do something like use a Butler command to set the value on a Custom Field called "Completion Date" with a command like:

When a due date is marked complete set "Completion Date" to "{date}" and move the card to "Done"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events