Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you make parts of a board private and other parts public?

Reed, Mimi January 20, 2022

I see that there's the option to make an entire board public, private, workspace, etc. But I was wondering if there is a way to make only parts of a board visible to the public while keep other parts private? Thanks!

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2022

No, but you could share out parts of the board with people using a 3rd party Power-Up: https://trello.com/power-ups/60d93bb780ee244d5d2b1edd/external-share

1 vote
Answer accepted
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2022

Hey @Reed, Mimi ! Welcome to the community :) are you able to expand a bit around why you need some cards to be private? There are 3rd-parties like the External Share power-up as Michael mentioned, which are great for people that just need read-only access to certain cards.

If you need to collaborate with a contractor or client for example, and they need to be able to have some edit permissions like make comments, etc. you might want to look into creating a separate board for this person and syncing the relevant cards from the main board to the secondary board using Unito.

Reed, Mimi February 14, 2022

Hi! The project team is sharing information about hiring and would like some lists to be read-only for the public. Ideally, there would be a master board for the team and a second board that is public facing, not editable, and syncs only certain lists from the master board.

Which 3rd party powerups would get us as close to that as possible? Can you share the pros/cons of External Share vs. card syncing with Teams? It looks like External Share would allow us to share certain cards and lists, but there is only one board.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2022

Hi @Reed, Mimi ! I don't know too much about the card syncing with Teams power-up, but I know with Unito you could set this up easily by creating an external-facing board that's set to public, and then sync your internal mater board to the external board. Unito would allow you to set up rules to automatically sync cards to the external board, for example, only sync cards in lists x,yz.

The external share power-up could also work just fine. You can filter what is shared so only cards in certain lists can be seen. The only downside is you can't customize what's shared, so they'll be able to see everything (comments, labels, checklists, members, description)

With Unito, you can customize your public-facing board however you want (so the lists can be named differently, you could have different labels, etc.) and choose what information should sync over. You can also configure the external-facing board so that people can make comments which can sync back to the main internal board if you need that. 

Hope that helps!

Reed, Mimi February 14, 2022

@Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows - Yes, that helps. Because I'm looking to share entire lists (like sync cards in lists x, y, z), would I be able to do that with Board Sync? Curious about pricing and number of connections.

Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2022

Yep, they also offer a free trial if you wanna test it out and ask questions regarding pricing and usage.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events