Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create personal board

introspektar November 5, 2020

I am on free plan. I have 4 personal boards, 2 boards in team1 and 1 board in team2.

When I try to make a new board I only get option to create it under one of those two teams (and options for it to be private, team or public, but still attached to team). No option to make it a personal board. I even tried to delete few old boards, but nothing changed.

Are there still personal boards in trello, or have they shut down that feature? I haven't been around for a while...

18 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2020
paloha November 11, 2020

Even though it was confusing for me as well, I agree that creating a separate team with only one member which can even be called "Personal Boards" if you wish, solves this. Thx

Like # people like this
Cara Nocero November 11, 2020

@[deleted] - this isn't helpful, this is a huge disappointment. i've used Trello for years, I did a user research "Help us make Trello better!Session: Cara" back in February was suppose to get a gift card of some sort, that never happened and now I'm stuck trying to figure out how to get all my personal boards separated (if i want to keep using it at all) and to see if i can even use Trello for our company anymore. I use to preach how great Trello was and must've referred over 100 people to use it. Trello is now Atlassian and it would rob the small company i work for blind to upgrade it given we already pay for every user with Jira, Confluence and the other marketplace add ons that must pay for every user. Smells like greed, looks like greed... let's call it greed. Poor Taco!

Like # people like this
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 12, 2020

Hi Cara,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I hope your company finds the same value in Trello that you found in Jira/Confluence and the other software businesses that you pay for. 

If you respond to the email you have on the user research, I’m sure we can find out how to make sure you get the gift card you are entitled for. 

Cara Nocero December 1, 2020

i emailed hello@trello.com and replied to the calendar invite from when I participated from your survey and included a screenshot from this thread. I will keep the board on posted here on the follow thru for that. 

Like # people like this
Cara Nocero December 3, 2020

just want to follow up here and let you and other viewers know that Trello did help me out & fulfilled the gift card commitment from earlier this year. thank you. 

Like # people like this
Martin Zoller December 30, 2020

Just tried to create a personal board and ran into the same issue. Apparently even an upgrade to Trello Gold doesn't remove the 10-board limitation, you have to create a team/workspace and upgrade it to Business Class, according to posts below.

Trello has been my longest-lasting task management system so far, I've been a daily user for at least 7 years. I would be happy to pay like $5 a month to keep using it in the same way.

But paying $10 a month to not even get all the features (Business Class appears not to include Trello Gold)? And then paying another $10 a month if I ever want to share more than 10 boards with my wife? Thanks, but no thanks.

If you want to keep your users, rethink your pricing model. A simple per-user subscription with unlimited teams and unlimited boards per team is the way to go.

Like # people like this
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
December 30, 2020

Business Class does include all the features of Gold. 

We are testing the additional plan out now. There’s a test running for a Standard subscription at $5 (and $7 as a test). The people that get prompted for the test are random though so you may not be in a test group, but it’s basically how you described. 

Jin Yifan December 30, 2020

After the new Standard subscription go-live, will it be able to transfer the Gold to one of Team business?

Dianne Romelle Fay February 8, 2021

I don't understand... I'm having a problem with this as well... Each one of my boards is listed as "private FREE" but yet it won't allow me to create more than 10 boards... I've just upgraded to GOLD about 4 days ago...  When I upgraded, the screen said that I was able to have UNLIMITED personal boards. Can someone please try to address this issue without trying to upsell me to the next level?

Like ShelleyRae OConnor likes this
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
February 9, 2021

@Dianne Romelle Fay can you contact support directly using the "Ask Trello Support" link here: https://trello.com/contact

Luke Mourinet April 26, 2021

I don't understand why I have to google to create a personal board (I am a gold user),   it doesn't make any sense. I will try again for 5 minutes, if I can't solve it.I just won't renew, simple.

When the personal area says 'create new board' it should do just that period.  You change your system? offer a simplified Migration. I see that now I'll have to create 10 boards per workspace; let us know how you guys want us to work based on the cage you're setting and we'll pay to do what YOU want. Gross, really.

I had something to do, it just put me off. I'll use that time to cancel my subscription.

17 votes
Mercè Gamell November 8, 2020

So this means that our private boards will need to go to a private workspace and we will only be able to have 10 boards per workspace. Unless we create more workspaces. This ruins my workshops, as students were presenting their assignments using personal boards with me invited. Now I need to ask all of them to build teams? Also, what I was explaining about the beauties of unlimited Trello personal boards is no longer valid. Also, what I was explaining about Trello's evolution to make things easier is no longer valid anymore. Poor Trello, now that other tools are using Kanban too. You are not the only one anymore.

LATrischler November 9, 2020

Agreed!

Like # people like this
IgorTitov November 9, 2020

+1

Like # people like this
Stephanie Lodie November 11, 2020

what other platforms are there that are similar? I kind of like AirTable but not enough to jump. I really like the card features of trello

Like # people like this
Mercè Gamell November 11, 2020

Amongst the ones that you can do real work for free, Notion, Todoist or Clickup use kanban cards too. The three are different concept tools, but you can manage tasks and projects with them. 

Like # people like this
Silviya Radkova November 11, 2020

I would recommend you try Asana, ClickUp, and Notion. Notion is perfect if you like AirTable. It has a lot of options but you need to create your own structure. ClickUp is a little complicated, at least as I see it. It's not impossible to learn but it takes a little more time. And finally - Asana. It's a lot like Trello (only you can't change the background of your projects and you have only a few photos to choose from for a background at all). But maybe from the three, it does look like Trello the most. And you can choose between list, board, and calendar view for every project. Besides you can see all the tasks from all your board in one place (something that I missed in Trello and that they're trying to do now).

My personal preferences are Asana or Notion.

By the way, Notion can be used not only for project and task management but as a note-taking app.

Like # people like this
Weledar December 4, 2020

+1

Ryoidenshi December 18, 2020

May be I don't know some details, but GitKraken Glo Boards is not bad alternative too 

Emmanuel Mouillet December 19, 2020

I agree with you guys, i have use trello since 2013, and absolutely love the product. But since Atlassian has buy the product they have never stop to downgrade it. From indigest intro menu, full of useless feature that go against the initial minimalist philosophy to the limitation of boards number, it's really sad to see how good product are always destroy by new team. Well trello was still usable. But now with this new rule to not be allowed to create personnal board , and the teams restriction to 10 boards i think they put the last nail to the coffin. RIP trello it is now time to switch to ClickUp. Many thanks to the initial guys that create this app cause it has serve my needs for a long time, and i was an absolut fan of it. I understand that you need to get the reward of your hardwork by selling your company, i will have do the same if i were at your place. So big thanks for those 7 years of trello , that really bring something new on the market at the time.

Like # people like this
Max Yakin Bozek February 26, 2021

Try Asana, WorkFlowy, Notion, Todoist, or Coda!

All of them are so much better than Trello now and have much more generous free plans!

Trello since becoming Atlassian became absolutely greedy and the free plan is awfully limited.

ShelleyRae OConnor May 28, 2021

I'm in the same boat. I've created personal boatds and now feel they'll be held for ransom.

After years of input there is a lot of material I'll have to download in a short time. 

I've been encouraging clients to use Trello to chart their medical issues and history. Unlimited boards gave them the ability to really get detailed. Now all that effort, on everyone's part, is going to be lost. Many people with extensive medical don't have funds to pay to get their medical boards out of lovk up. 

I'm really very disappointed in Atlassian as the new owners.

8 votes
Rhys Lindmark November 9, 2020

I also found this behavior surprising.

I used to create a new private board for every week of work. IIUC, I now need to create a new team/workspace every 10 times I create a new board? 

This is not great functionality. I would love to continue to make unlimited private board. Strongly considering moving to Notion now.

Thanks, I will check into that as well. 

Mercè Gamell November 10, 2020

Another one is Todoist, already a great tasks app that is implementing Kanban view now and syncs 360 with Google Calendar. And allows a start date besides the due date, something that Trello has never been able to provide.

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
November 10, 2020

I think the start date will be out when Timeline view ships.  It's on my boards internally atm.  

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 2.17.53 PM.png

Finally? This has been asked by Trello's users for years, while all competitora had already implemented it. It might come a big late now but, anyway, this was a must. 

Like Shurland James likes this
8 votes
Kyle Wholton November 5, 2020

I am also having the same issue. My Trello is now significantly less useful now that I'm unable to create personal boards.

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
November 5, 2020

When you hit the plus button to create a new board, choose Private in the dropdown.

We're in the process over the next year to rename Teams to Workspaces, and all boards need to be in a Workspace.  The setting that used to be called Personal is the same as a Private board in a Workspace.

Like Kyle Wholton likes this
A Kohl November 5, 2020

So @Michael Pryor , what think I am hearing you say, is that we need to create a new workspace (previously teams) that we make private? Then that private (previously personal) workspace is limited to 10 boards?

Or any board we put in any workspace (team) can be made private (personal)?

Like Cathryn Chen likes this
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
November 5, 2020

The app should lead you through this (creating a team) when you go to make a new board.

By default, the new team/workspace is private since you would be the only one with access to it.

So when you make a board in it, even if the board wasn't private, you'd be the only one with access to it.

But to be certain you can mark the board as private, so if later you add anyone to the team/workspace, they can't see the board.

Any board you put in any team/workspace can be made private.  The only people that can see a private board are the people on the board (and team admins).

Ryan Wilson November 5, 2020

@Michael Pryor Okay so why didn't you convert/put all personal boards into their own workspace when you made this change? Now, you will have to manually move all your boards into a team.

All you have done is disable the ability to add boards to the Personal workspace. The fact that there still is a personal workspace does not make sense if you cannot add to it. 

Like # people like this
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
November 5, 2020

There isn't really a Personal Workspace.  "Personal" just means the board has no team/workspace. So we can't just move the boards there.

But I understand what you are saying. We are shipping things that will help with this. They just haven't shipped yet.  Technically, right now, you don't need to go and manually move anything.  When you create a new board is the only time you need address this.

Like G likes this
Taradhinta November 5, 2020

@Michael Pryor I experience the same issue: cannot make any personal board and it always falls under teams, no "no team" option in the drop down menu for the team, but my colleague at the office can still create personal board with "no team" option. What explains the different treatment? 

Like # people like this
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
November 6, 2020

The change is still rolling out. Eventually all boards will be in a workspace/team. 

Mary Mendoza November 6, 2020

I have Trello gold and I understood it had unlimited boards.  But now that doesn't seem to be the case since I have to move something to a team and then only get 10 boards.  This is incredibly frustrating given that I am actually paying for usage.  I just don't need all the team functionality.  What can be done to fix this?

Like # people like this
Barry Gilbert November 7, 2020

So does this mean we are limited to only 10 personal boards now?

If so, why was this change made?

Like # people like this
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
November 7, 2020

Each free team/workspace is limited to 10 boards. You can make another team/workspace. 

Adam S November 7, 2020

I had the same issue in the web app and thought i'd check if the mobile app had the same limitation.

It works there! If you have the mobile app, you can select "Personal Boards (no team) in the dropdown list.

Like # people like this
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
November 7, 2020

The changes will roll out to mobile shortly as well. And in a few months we will be migrating all boards that have no team into teams/workspaces. 

Like G likes this
Arnost Neurad November 9, 2020

Can we have something done about this issue? It's super frustrating now that I've been added to a completely unrelated team from a client that all my new boards keep falling into that team by default with no way of creating a strictly "No team" board. 
This change makes no sense from a user's perspective, especially when old "Personal boards" are still a thing. 
Judging from the "I'm new here" labels by everyone's name here this is a very unexpected behavior that was worth signing up to the community forum for many.
Heck, creating a "Personal" workspace and moving all currently perosnal boards in there by default would do, before rolling such a change out. 

Like # people like this
Maikel van Leeuwen November 9, 2020

It really feels counter productie to be honost. Also how can I check that now my board is not be leaked to a team? The personal workspace makes this evident a team/workspace does not. 

Also it goes behind the reasoning that boards are used by only me. Unless i have a personality disorder. A personal board has one member: Me and me is not a team. 

Like # people like this
vanb777 November 15, 2020

@Michael Pryor "Each free team/workspace is limited to 10 boards. You can make another team/workspace."

If everything must be a part of a workspace now, why am I still considered to be on a "free" workspace when I have paid for Trello Gold? It's incredibly frustrating that I just upgraded to gold to remove limitation and now I'm being ask to pay AGAIN because I'm being forced into a "free" workspace?

Nonsense way to treat your paying customers.

Like # people like this
Laura McDonald November 19, 2020

This is the real crux of the issue for me – why am I paying for Trello Gold when the features I've been paying for are now not available unless I upgrade each team/workspace? 

Like # people like this
7 votes

@Michael Pryor  “it would be exactly what you are used to but instead of the word Personal you would see the word Private.” 

Not “exactly”! We have to start over after 10 boards with a new “team”! Not even close to the same. This is not conducive for organizing boards.  What a mess. 🙄 

6 votes
erkage November 14, 2020

So now...I have to create a TEAM to myself where i will be the only team member for forever? Really? I don't think this sounds good or logical or anything? And uppon this it's limited to 10 tables.

:exploding_head:

So, it looks like the last 2 card that i will make in trello are:
1. cancel my gold subscription
2. look for my new home of everything and move there

6 votes
Heather Gudejko November 9, 2020

Having a limit of 10 boards per "workspace" and not having a personal option is very limiting and negates the use of Trello in my workflow. Sadly, it seems that I will have to find an alternative solution. 

Agreed.  :( 

Like # people like this
Ryoidenshi December 18, 2020

One more agree :c But I don't know where to go better :c

5 votes
Manuel Sabin November 11, 2020

This is awful

I've been on Trello for years now and this messes up everything.  Guess I'm going to have to research other options, this is going to be a painful migration...

5 votes
Silviya Radkova November 10, 2020

I WAS a great Trello fan. But what I see happening with Trello makes me happy that a few months ago switched completely to Asana!!!! I know you have to make money but this is not the way. What will be the next step? Making the free account limited to only one workspace/team??? I'm leaving Trello forever!!!

5 votes
Manuela Planinc November 10, 2020

I have the same issue. Trello used to be easy and intuitive, now you just started to ruin it.

First thing it was with separating different accounts of the same user (my work/busnisess just require me to use work e-mails, now i need to login/out to acces them?? ) and now i cant even create the most simple personal board, because you are forcing me to select an existing team. There is no team! it is my personal workspace, why does it need to belong somewhere? 

It seems to me that some apps ruin their own user experience by themselves, like Evernote, others ruin it when bought by a bigger one, like Wunderlist and Trello. Nothing too good lasts too long, someone will need to monetize more and more. 

Like # people like this
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
November 10, 2020

I think you should be able to be logged in to both accounts at the same time and switch between them:

https://help.trello.com/article/1227-switching-between-trello-accounts

4 votes
David Thomas December 18, 2020

I’ve used Trello since 2012 and have a gold business class membership. No longer being able to create personal boards is a ridiculous and unnecessary complication.  If you can simply keep creating teams with no members and maxing out the 10 free boards per team, removing the ability to create unlimited personal boards is nonsense.

And hey Atlassian, spare me the insult of replying to this message with condescending board and team creation instructions that we all already know.  You’ve eliminated a reasonable feature that your loyal customers deserve and no one’s happy about it.  I’m too deep into Trello to migrate, but I’m certainly not going to refer it any more. 

4 votes

UGH. I'm already a Gold member, but without the use of the Personal boards it is not as useful. Having to create new private "teams" just to have personal boards?!?  Sounds like a way for Trello to charge more money.  Not super happy with this change. Like several other commenters, I will start doing some research on other options. 

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
November 9, 2020

If you signed up for Trello today, you would just hit "+" to make a new board and what you are thinking of as Personal would be just making a Private board in the team/workspace that was created for you when you signed up.  It would be exactly what you are used to but instead of the word Personal you would see the word Private.

The only difference between a new user's experience and your experience would be that one time, you need to create your own team/workspace.  Once you do that, you would just select "Private" instead of "Personal" in the visibility settings when you create the board. 

Mercè Gamell November 9, 2020

It's not exactly the same when you say "Each free team/workspace is limited to 10 boards. You can make another team/workspace." My non-existent team until now allowed me to have more than 10 boards without the need to create anything else.

Like # people like this

Exactly. Trello is missing the point here. 

Like # people like this
Laura McDonald November 19, 2020

The real difference is that if that new user wants the features that I've paying for with Trello Gold, they also need to upgrade that workspace they're putting their boards in. And so will I, if I want to create a new board now. On every workspace. Why do we need to pay twice?

Like # people like this
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2020

If the board is in a paid workspace, then anyone on the board should have access to the features, including the guests.  So you'd just need to pay for the subscription for one workspace and the people using that workspace.

3 votes
carlos January 13, 2021

Leave the personal space please. Stop removing something it was working well.
Having to make multiple workspaces called "personal" because the are limited to 10 is just stupid.
Also don't roll updates if they're not finished since you are just confusing people and making people who pay get angry.

2 votes
Jorge Ham December 8, 2020

It was a terrible decision. Not everyone works in "teams" for everything. I have the problem that my Personal Boards (the ones I use the most) are the ones at the top of the screen, and if I create a team it goes by alphabetical order so I should have to put an A or something in front of the team's name in order to make it appear at the top. This is by no means useful. If there's no way back to the personal boards (or workspaces), then please let us re arrange the order so we can choose which are the ones that show first.

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
December 8, 2020

That's why we are renaming Teams to Workspaces.

You can just create one Workspace for now, but all boards will be in a Workspace (so the Personal section will go away).  We do have a period of time right now where it is still shown but will soon fix it so if there are no Personal boards, it won't be shown.

We are changing the navigation as well so you can look at just one Workspace at a time, so eventually you won't have this problem.

If you'd like you could make your Workspace named "Personal" and the experience will eventually be very similar.

Move It Signs December 12, 2020

Now that I know why I can't make anymore personal boards; what will be the limit on "workspaces" for free accounts?  How many will we be allowed to create?

Like Shurland James likes this
carlos January 13, 2021

If we need to have 11 tables we'll need to have multiple personal workspaces(teams). That's just stupid. Also don't roll updates if they're not finished...

Like # people like this
2 votes
How Sim December 2, 2020

I think they remove the feature but put it back later. I think it was a very bad move. For this reason, i migrated to asana and i don't think i am going back. 

1 vote
mmsdaus December 25, 2020

Hello,

I have been using Trello for YEARS. I cannot believe you are making this change, it's super frustrating. From a (single) user point of view, this makes NO SENSE whatsoever. Please reconsider this and leave this option open for people not interested in having team boards.

Update: Spent 2 hours looking at my boards and rethinking their purpose. Nothing really changes other than having to reorganise my boards, which is a waste of time, but this is not a huge drama as I though it would be.

Cheers

P.S. Why is there no "Delete message" option?

0 votes
Andrey Dunin April 29, 2021

This makes me very angry and I will be moving onto a different platform after many years of use as well.

0 votes
Maikel van Leeuwen February 26, 2021

Hello,

I was taken by surprise in November. Now 5 months later I decided after many years to move away from Trello. Atlassian killed a great product. Turning Trello more or less into Jira.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events