Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a custom date field trigger an action once the date has passed?

Mike Stevens April 16, 2023

Ahoy all,

We've got a custom date field on our cards called 'Event Date', and I'd like to have it trigger an action such as a comment on the card or a message to Slack, etc. 

The idea is that the moment the date has passed, it triggers an action.

cutom-fields.jpg

There are a lot of options in the custom fields automations, but none of them stand out to me as the solution for this. I see things like 'completed' and 'checked' and so on, but short of experimenting with them, they don't strike me as the right options for this job. 

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. 

Any help appreciated! 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2023

You can only trigger such command on the due date of the card but you can make it work by doing,

When the "Event Date" custom field is set, set the due date to {customfieldvalue} 

and then by using a due date command:

Screenshot 2023-04-17 102706.png

Mike Stevens April 19, 2023

Thanks for the answer, fellow Mike! So you're suggesting, I think, that I set a due date 2 days before the date in our 'Event date' custom field, thus triggering an action on the date of the event? A bit cumbersome, but that'd work for sure. I guess it'll have to do, haha. 

Thanks again! 

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2023

It is cumbersome to have 2 stages and a custom field to make this work.  Trello could so easily fix this... However, I'm suggesting that you set the event date to the actual event date, which will in turn set the due date to the same.  Then use the due date automation to triger x number of days before the event date

Mike Stevens April 22, 2023

Aaah, good point! That'll work fine. Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events