Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Trello work as an Onboarding Process Queue

Kerry Stokes March 15, 2021

I am wondering if anyone knows of a way to use Trello or an integration that will allow me to make a list of tasks that need to be done for a new employee onboarding process and when 1 employee finishes their part it notifies the next employee of their part.  Basically 4 people are involved in the onboarding process of an employee, all have tasks that have to be done in an order and the next person needs to be notified when it is time for them to do their task....Has anyone ever used Trello in this way and if so can you advise me on how that would be setup?

Thanks

3 answers

0 votes
Michaela Staffova March 17, 2021

Hey @Kerry Stokes 

I'm gonna chime in with an automation you can build with Integromat

Of course, there are quite a few ways of approaching this. Let’s say that when each employee finishes the task assigned to them, they move the card with their task from the ‘To Do’ list to the ‘Done’ list. Once the card is moved to ‘Done’, a Slack message is sent to the employee who’s up next in the process. The same then happens when the second, third and fourth person finish their tasks.

Let me walk you through the process step by step:

1) Choose the ‘Watch Cards Moved to a List’ Trello module. Within the module, connect your Trello account to Integromat (there’s a link to the support documentation in case you need it). Select the Board you want to watch and the list to which the cards will be moved (in this case: Done). Set the maximum number of processed results within one run (in this case I chose 4 because you said there are 4 employees involved).

trello module.png

2) Add a router from the ‘tools’ section at the bottom of the builder
router.png

3) Connect four ‘Create a Message’ Slack modules to the router.

router and slack modules.png

4) To make sure that the right person receives the right message at the right time, we need to set up corresponding filters. To do that, click the wrench symbol on the dotted line between the router tool and each Slack module. The condition we want to set here is that if the card that’s been moved to ‘Done’ is called ‘Task 1’, a Slack message notifying the second person in line is sent. Of course, it's necessary to set the filter for each card/Slack message.

filter.png

5) Set each Slack modules to send the notification to the relevant person. Create a connection to your Slack account. Select the type of channel where the notification will be sent (public channel, private channel, IM channel). In this case, I chose a private message and therefore Integromat let me select the user I want to send the message to. Finally, enter the body of the Slack message.

slack module.png

6) Run the scenario once to see if there are no errors. I moved my testing cards from ‘To Do’ to ‘Done’ and indeed I received a bunch of Slack messages (I set myself as the recipient each time).

slack message.png

7) Schedule the scenario to run whenever you need it by clicking the watch icon on the Trello module.

scheduling.png

8) Finally, don’t forget to slide the ‘Scheduling’ button in the left bottom corner to the ‘on' position to switch your automation on.

And you're all set :) 

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2021

@Kerry Stokes you could just create 4 different Butler rules like:

when a card is moved into list "Blah" add member "newassignee"

so each person does their work and then moves the card to the next list.

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2021

@Kerry Stokes 

I am not a my computer but there is a feature to assign member in sequence or randomly to a card. I think the challenge I found was now to do that seamlessly into a large workflow. There are other ways to do this. Happy to discuss offline. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events