Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Trello set task reminders for individual checklist items?

Shane Snyder August 11, 2021

Hello,

I am trying to identify if trello can be setup with power-ups that do the following:

1. Automate emails to be sent out when a project is moved to a different list?  These emails would update certain people that are designated on the project to receive updates when the phase of the project changes.  Not general emails like the system currently does, but custom emails.  
  2.  I need a way to have a checklist that has layers to it.  So a project would have a master checklist of items and those items would be at a HIGH level.  Then if the user needs to see more detail, they will be able to see a MID level of instruction, and then if they need even deeper details, they will be able to see LOW level instructions where text and video tutorials will reside, allowing the user to be walked through exactly how to complete that particular task/checklist item.  This needs to be all in 1 place...I do not want the user to have to go to multiple locations to see the different levels (High, Mid, Low).
  3.  I need the ability to leave lots of notes on a task/checklist item.  Imagine someone is working on a checklist item and they need to take a note of their progress or details on that task.  I want the note to be attached to the checklist/task item in a user-friendly manner.  
  4. I need the ability for a task reminder (that goes to email, desktop notification, text, etc.) to be attached to a task/checklist item so that the user can stay on top of their most important tasks if they are time-sensitive.

2 answers

0 votes
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2021

1. Butler automation rules should be able to achieve this for you. You can trigger an email when a certain thing happens. The email subject and body can be customized to what you want and you can send the email to multiple people. You'll find the action to send an email under "Content" when creating your Butler rule. 

2. Trello doesn't really offer deep subtasks natively, but you can create linked check-items using Butler that will take you to a related card (I believe Milynnus was suggesting this). This will achieve 3 layers of tasks for you, so you would have the HIGH-level card which will contain check-items, and when clicking on the check-item, it will take you to another card which would be the MID-level task. From within the child task, you can then create a checklist for the LOW-level tasks. 

3. If you use the method mentioned in no.2, you can leave notes/comments in both the HIGH and MED cards because they are regular standalone cards. However, you can't in the LOW-level tasks seeing as they are check-items. 

4. If someone is a member of a card, they will automatically get desktop/email notifications when that card is almost due (if they have those options turned on). You can also create reports with Butler that can send a summary of all the tasks that are due that week. 

Another option that might work is the Hello Epics power-up.

Not sure how deep you are into Trello, but it might be worth exploring alternative tools that offer deep subtasks natively. For example, Asana offers infinite subtasks, and each subtask is treated as a regular task (so you have start/due dates, descriptions, comments, custom fields, etc., etc.). If you're assigned to a subtask or following one in Asana, you'll be notified when it's almost due, whereas Trello doesn't offer reminders for check-items just yet. Asana also has a "My tasks" view which shows all your assigned tasks/subtasks which you're able to view in a list, board, or calendar view in order to stay on top of everything. 

Don't get me wrong, Trello is an awesome tool and I'll always promote it as a nice easy solution to managing work, but it's not always suited to every business :) 

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2021

@Shane Snyder 

This might be a model that you can use. 
https://www.loom.com/share/926c6443b75045bcab3d2386f1275f7b

By having task and subtask in one list it allows you the ability to have the instructions and record the details into the subtask cards. 

if you add Contalist automation to the sprint board you can also get (1)

Shane Snyder August 11, 2021

Thank you for trying to help Milynnus.  This isn't really what I am looking for.  

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2021

@Shane Snyder 

No worries. Are you looking at doing it from within a checklist item instead on having item item linked to a card? If so you would still need a placeholder to store the updates. In Trello, a card has 4K of space for that but you will need code to read or write from it. 💪look for a solution that works for you. 

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2021

@Shane Snyder 

Just for item 1

https://www.loom.com/share/935d39f0de2d4fe2bac3cdd03cf22983

In some way it addresses item 4 because that email would be the card details which you can include checklist (checked and unchecked) and or any attachments, selected CF if you like, labels, description...etc etc.

The email can look like this:

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 10.46.27 AM.jpg

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events