Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Lists be colour coded?

Mary MKF June 30, 2020

I would like the lists to be colour coded so that my sales team can see the list progression in colour.

also, will there be more colours added to the current set?

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2020

Hi @Mary MKF 

Welcome to the Community!

If you and all members of the board use Chrome to view Trello, you can use the Pro for Trello Chrome extension to change the list colours (and a lot more!).

On the topic of keeping a certain card at the top of the list, if the list is organised in date order, you can either put the due date as say 1 Jan 2030, which will keep it at the top if you're organising one way, or 1 Jan 1990 if you're organising it the other way. It just depends on whether you're organising the list in ascending or descending date order.

It can't be locked though, so people can still move it by accident.

On the subject of more colours for labels, this is something that's been asked a lot. But because Trello has a colour blind mode, and works on a strict accessibility code, meaning that it's not as simple as 'adding more colours' - there's a lot that has to be taken into account for creating new ones. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have more colours, but I understand that Trello's commitment to accessibility for all is important as well. 

Hope that helps!

Esme :)

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2020

I will add to this that I, personally, use all of the above!

I have coloured lists, I have cards in the list that have a checked due date set to 1 January 2030, and I have checked cards set at 2010. So no matter which way I organise the individual lists, the cards that I want, appear where I want them to. 

I also use the --- with a full colour cover. If you want these to appear in specific places, you can set the due date on those as well. I have mine as dividers, and I've set the due date on them to be 1am or whichever day I want them to 'stay' on. For example, I have a gratitude log per personal sprint. I want to know which entries I made in which stage of the sprint, so I have --- cards set at 1am of the first day of the new section, so that when I run my Butler rule (every time I add a card, set due to now, mark due date as complete, organise the list in due date descending), the cards will go into the right section.

Just thought I'd add that!

Mary MKF July 6, 2020

Thank you for the info. 

Very handy ideas. 😊

Michael Friel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 3, 2023

hi, thanks for the tip, I am now using coloured lists with the Chrome extension, which improves the visual experience. I am just typing in colours to see what's available. Is there any way of seeing the full list of available colours?

0 votes
Answer accepted
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2020

@Mary MKF list cannot be coloured but you can add a card with name '---' and add a coloured cover to it at the top.

For task progression at card level the use of labels can be quite effective. Hope this helps.

Mary MKF June 30, 2020

Thank you, that's a good suggestion.

When I add a card to the top of the list - can I lock it in that position?

So that it is not accidentally moved.

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2020

Intra board control on card pos is not standard as far as I know.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events