Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I trigger a Butler rule when an item *with a due date* is added to a checklist?

Brian Adler October 8, 2020

Question

Can I trigger a Butler rule when a checklist item with a due date is added to a checklist and is there a variable that will allow me to use the due date in the rule actions?

Background

I have a board named "Companies and Contacts". The name of every card on the board is either a company name or a person's name.

I have a rule that automatically adds a checklist named "Next Actions" to every card when the card is added to the board.

On any given card, the "Next Actions" checklist shows the next several actions to be done related to that specific company or person. Many checklist items have due dates. I'm the only person accessing the board, so I don't bother assigning the checklist items to myself.

These are not subtasks, because the card names are not tasks, they're company names.

I have a separate board named "My Tasks" where I manage all of my tasks. It has lists named "To do today", "Done today", "Tickler" (for tasks with due dates), and "To be done" (for tasks without due dates)"

Here's what I'd like to automate:

Trigger: When a checklist item with a due date is added to the "Next Actions" checklist in a card on the "Companies and Contacts" board,

Actions: I'm not sure of the exact actions, but here's what I'd like to end up with:

• A new card in the "Tickler" list on the "My Tasks" board.  The name of the card is the text of the checklist item, the due date of the card is the due date of the checklist item, and the card has a link back to the original card on the "Companies and Contacts" board
  • A link from the original checklist item to the new card that was created.

I'd also like to automate what happens when a checklist item without a due date is added to "Next Actions".  That's largely the same, except the new card goes in the list "To be done" and has no due date.

1 answer

0 votes
Cody C.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 12, 2020

Not at the moment I'm afraid - you can trigger a Butler rule when a checklist item is added to a card with a due date, or when a checklist item is added to a card, but not exclusively when a checklist item with a due date is added to a card.

One workaround would be to use the "when an item starting with xyz is added to a checklist" trigger. Then, you could start your cards with a text-based tag - perhaps something like, "due:" or whatever tag would be easy to add to those time-based checklist items.

Advanced checklists are pretty great, so I can definitely understand wanting to use them with Butler. Hopefully it's something we'll be able to add down the road!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events