Can I reference the card email address

Russell Beecroft July 18, 2020

Hi,
Is there any way to reference the unique card email address for a card within butler in the same way as {cardname}, so when I send an email out, I can reference the card email so the recipient can respond and the card will get updated?

Thanks

RussB

2 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2020

@Russell Beecroft If you want to send and receive emails from Trello, there are 3 options:

1) My product BenkoDesk connects a shared Gmail account to one or more Trello boards so any member of the board can send and receive emails directly from cards. In your case, users would send their request, you'd reply, they'd reply etc. and it would all be mapped back to the same card. BenkoDesk operates entirely via comments and a "bot" user that is connected to the account so you can use it to create, reply, cc, bcc, attach etc. from any device. Because it uses the Gmail API the full conversation (sent and received) is inside Gmail which is good for searchability:

http://www.benkodesk.com/

2) SendBoard is a similar product. It installs as a power up but similarly to BenkoDesk uses a "bot user" to manage the message notifications. They have a feature that's coming soon that will allow you to reply via comment from mobile devices, AFAIK you won't be able to create new emails from mobile devices, however they also allow rich text formatting. In their case, they work more like ZenDesk/HelpScout where you forward emails into their system:

https://sendboard.com/

3) Hipporello is more focused on being a "helpdesk" or "servicedesk" product that combines form based help/contact with email. It is a bit more like an IT helpdesk and a bit less like "normal email" but you can reply from within Trello:

https://www.hipporello.com/

0 votes
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2020

Hi @Russell Beecroft 

Welcome to the Community!

Can I ask what rule you're trying to set up using the card email? If you could let us know that, we might be able to suggest how to get it done? Within Butler we generally use {triggercardlink}, because Butler is internal, so the card email isn't necessary. Card emails are usually used externally, so Butler wouldn't need to access & act on them, if that makes sense.

I can see on the Variables for Butler, there isn't a "card email" variable, but if we knew the use case, we might be able to suggest something else!

Let us know!

Esme :)

Russell Beecroft July 20, 2020

Hi Esme,
Thank you for the response. We have a process were external clients send requests to the board email address which generates a new card. Out of the description of the card, I am trying to extract the email address of the sender (which butler doesn't hold) and populate a custom field using some wild cards called {{Requester}}. When we have actioned something on the card, there is a requirement to send notification of the change back out to the external client for them to also make one further change. I would have like to attach the card email address to them so they can reply to that email address and it would update the card. Hope this makes sense. I don't want to add them as users to the board as there are simply too many clients.

Thanks

Russ

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2020

Hi Russell,

Thanks for explaining that for me!

As Butler can work on Custom Fields, could you copy & paste the card email into a custom field (called "Card email" or "Card @" - something that is obvious), for the email that's assigned to the card, and use that in whichever the report?

I know it's a bit of a faff to set up, but you'd only need to do it on each card once.

I'm going to tag in @Iain Dooley because I think Trellinator might be able to help with getting the originating email address out of the description and into a custom field (although I'm not 100% sure on that, he'd be able to advise properly!). I don't believe Butler can do this, I've just had a look through all the screens and can't find a way to do it, hopefully Iain will be able to suggest something.

Would that work?

Like Iain Dooley likes this
Russell Beecroft July 20, 2020

Hi Esme,

Yes, that would be great. We are already copying the email out of the description and populating the 'Custom Field', however I could also put the card email into a custom field too. I have tried to query text patterns however the original email isn't always consistent so it's difficult to do a query with any accuracy. I have one more question regarding subscriptions. Is there an option to upgrade to Business Class for a single user? I do have a team of 10 but all of the butler scripts are done by myself.

Thanks

Russ

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2020

Hi Russ,

OK, so BC is a bit tricky to understand!

Individuals can't have BC, BC is applied to the whole team. Free & Gold are personal, but BC is a team thing.

Basically:

• All team members cost $119.99 for each person in the team - regardless of how many boards within that team they're on (people who have been added at the team level) team members
  • Others - on one board ONLY and NOT part of the team - free - single-board guests
  • Others - on more than one board NOT part of the team 1 x $119.99 each person - multi-board guests

So, I have a team of 2 - myself and my husband - and I pay for 2 members of the team 2 x $119.99. My mother is on 1 board NOT the BC team, so she's a single-board guest and isn't billable.

If you have just you in the team (which is perfectly acceptable - I started out as a single person team and had this for over a year), you'd only pay for you, with as many single-board guests as you like (people on only 1 board and NOT members of the BC team) and it would only be 1 x $119.99 for you. 

BUT if you have 10 people on more than 1 board, say 1 person is on 20 boards but not part of the team - they are charged as a multi-board guest at $119.99 in addition to any other costs for team and other multi-board guests.

Team members have permissions that you might not want everyone to have, so you have to make the decision if they are multi-board guests or team members, the price for multi-board guests and team members is the same.

While Trello's core features are free, Trello Business Class adds features and value to your team, and costs $12.50 per team member or Multi-Board Guest per month when billed monthly, or $119.99 per team member or Multi-Board Guest per year when billed yearly. The entire team has to be upgraded—it’s not possible to have partial Business Class.

I would say, if you're considering going down the BC route, you have to create a team in order to upgrade it, and depending on how many team members (not board members) you have at the time of upgrading will depending on how much you'll be billed after the 14 day free trial ends.

Just to make you aware of that.

If you have 10 team members after the 14-day trial, you will be charged 10 x $119.99, if you have only you and 5 multi-board guests, you will be charged 6 x $119.99, if you have just you and 30 single-board guests, the charge will still only be for you 1 x $119.99

Like I said, it's a bit tricky to get your head around! This is a link to the help page on Trello: Business Class vs Trello Gold that I've quoted above.

Does that make any sense? It's not as easy to write down as it is to understand and I've re-written this a bazillion times and I'm still not sure it's understandable!

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2020

@Esme Crutchley thanks for the shoutout, board and card email addresses aren't available via the API at all unfortunately. I hacked together many a workaround in the past before I built BenkoBoard/BenkoDesk for doing email integration :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events