Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I make rules not user bound?

Tom Calcoen May 17, 2022

Hi

With my company we're delving into the automation features of Trello and found some good uses from the rules when moving a card into a new list.

However we discovered that the rules created are only visible by the user who made them. Other users cannot see the rules but can be subjected to them (by having the rules apply to anyone). Is it possible to make them visible to the entire team?

Card buttons are visible by all members of the boards however they require more clicks and we'd have to make lots of them (meaning you'd have to start looking for the right one for the operations you're doing) which them defeats the entire purpose.

Right now we might go and have a main, public account for the managers to access and "centralize" the rules but again, not the most handy.

3 answers

0 votes
Tom Calcoen May 19, 2022

@Brittany Joiner @Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows Thank you both for the replies.

The reason I think it would be beneficial having them be public is so individual members can edit/add/ the rules without the need to ask a manager/producer or without having to swap to a common account (as long as they're allowed to do so).

In my case we're a fairly small team so having that flexibility would help.

For instance there could be a case where a member has to create a new list and wants to add the current rules to it or make new ones specific to that list. Either he has to wait for the producer to be on (timezones can make that hard/cause delays) or use the shared account.

The shared account just feels like a somewhat clunky solution to the problem.

I've skimmed through the command library and that's also a good but not always elegant way to get to the same result (having to update the commands for each user whenever there's a change).

0 votes
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2022

Agree with what @Brittany Joiner was saying - it would be cool. You can use the command libraries to share the rules with others so they can export them. That's helpful if you want to transfer ownership of the rules and allow someone else to manage/edit them.

Additionally, if you're an admin of a board, you can view all rules created by all board members (see here).

I would ask what the need is to have all board users viewing the rules? If the need is to allow others to edit the rules, a best practice would be to give that privilege to certain people so you don't have everyone messing around with them. You can achieve this by setting up your rules with a service account and sharing the service account credentials with certain people.

0 votes
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2022

@Tom Calcoen hey! welcome to the community! as far as i know, there's not a way to do this, and i agree it would be a really really really nice to have. It's hard working with clients because if i build rules for them, they can't "own" them, and i can't transfer it over to them so they have to go then build it themselves.

I've been trying to see if there's someone on the product team I can chat with to provide some feedback around how that might be useful, so seeing comments like this is good validation I'm not the only one!

So, unfortunately, I have no answer other than you're not alone and I'm trying to advocate for this to be easier!

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2022

Admittedly there's this feature about command libraries that i think is supposed to help, but TBH i haven't quite figured it out yet

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events