Can I make a sound when a list item is checked off

Bellevue Fine Art Repro September 26, 2019

I want to play a sound whenever a list item is checked off. Is that possible? Sounds silly, but I want the computer to play a "ding" sound whenever a checklist item is checked. 

We used to use Wunderlist, and you could play a sound when a list item was checked off. We called it our Pavlov for finishing a task. But also we're using automate.io to create trello cards, and both automate and Butler will move cards and check off list items on their own, so it's an audio cue to us that the robots are working on our behalf and have just accomplished a task that a humanoid might have otherwise been burdened with. 

Is there a way to accomplish this?

1 answer

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2019

@Bellevue Fine Art Repro well, either a plugin observing events at a browser level or, depending on how insane you are, an internet connected light or speaker with an automation that posts a notification to a URL when something happens, which would make a sound regardless of whether or not you had the web page open.

Bellevue Fine Art Repro September 27, 2019

I would like Butler to be able to do that. I've thought about sending a post notification to an url but that's a little messy. 

There has to be a way to get a ding. 

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2019

@Bellevue Fine Art Repro well, one way to get a ding is to trigger a notification. A notification can be triggered.

So for example if you wanted to get a noise whenever some event happened, you could create a card called "Pavlov" and then everyone can watch that card.

Then you have a rule like:

When a checklist item is completed find card "Pavlov" in board "Make some noise" and post comment "Boom!"

Note that you will need to create another Trello user to run your Butler power up, otherwise the person who enables Butler will be the account used to post the comment and thus will not receive a notification.

If you would like to make this noise distinct from other Trello notifications, and you're all in the same room, you could create a Trello account and set up an iPad or other device connected to a speaker, then only that account watches the card and your user posts the comment. That way, whenever your thing triggers and posts a comment, your Pavlovian dedicated Trello account will get a notification and you can configure the sound of that notification on your device.

Does seem like a lot of trouble though ... can you not just say "Woohoo!" when you complete something? ;)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events