Can I have Butler set a due-date of 2 working days later, only if the card is added by 9pm?

Eric "C" SIrianni December 20, 2021

If our customers add their requests to a specific Active Request list by 9pm EST, we guarantee their request will be delivered by 5pm, two days later.

For example:

If the customer adds their request to the Active Request list at 8:59pm on Monday, we will finish their request by 5pm Wednesday.

If the customer adds their request to the Active Request list at 9:01pm on Monday, we will finish their request by 5pm Thursday. 

What I'm aiming for is when a customer adds an episode to the "Active Request" list, Butler assigns the due date and time (by 5pm) to the card, based on the scenarios above. (if it's before 9pm Monday, Butler sets the due date for 5pm Wednesday, if it's after 9pm Monday, Butler sets the due date for 5pm Thursday.

Everything else works beautifully, just the 9pm deadline screws everything up, and we unfortunately can't change it.

The other tough part is, seeing as this is customer facing, we can't expect them to do anything more than add the card to the Active Request list.

Also, does anyone know what times Trello considers "Working Days"? Is it just 12am to 11:59pm Monday through Friday? If that was customizable we would be gold!

Thanks so much, you all have been so helpful in the past!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nathan Smith
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 22, 2021

Hi @Eric "C" SIrianni 

Nathan here from Trello Support, hope you're doing okay?

This isn't something that's possible just using Butler but you should be able to set this up using a combination of Butler and Custom Fields, below are some steps you can use to do this:

1. Create a Custom Field called Created Time with a type of Number
  2. Create a rule in Butler that when a card is added to the board (or added to your Active Request list) the Created Time custom field is set to {time24}
  3. Once you've saved this rule create a second rule that when the Created Time custom field is set to a number less than 21, set the due date on a card for in 2 days time
  4. Then create a third rule that when the Create Time custom field is set to a number greater than or equal to 21, set a due date on the card for in 3 days time

Once you've set up and enabled these 3 rules your due dates on the cards should be set correctly, can you give this a go and let me know if this works for you or not?

I believe weekdays in Trello are recognized as Monday to Friday 12:00 am to 11:59 pm, this isn't something that's able to be modified at the moment but I'll pass your interest in this on to our team for consideration!

Eric "C" SIrianni December 22, 2021

Hey Nathan! Really appreciate the response, and I'm well thanks!

I'll give this a shot for sure, but just realizing how powerful the Custom Fields feature is was a game changer. Really appreciate the info!

Yeah, I feel like Workspace/Board Hours of Operation would be an incredible feature. You set your working hours, and Butler makes decisions based on them. Just a thought!

Thanks again Nathan!

Nathan Smith
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 24, 2021

Hey! 

No problem at all! Feel free to let me know if you've got any other questions or concerns about this and I'll be happy to help!

Niki Lentz December 6, 2022

Hey Nathan or even Eric. 

How do you set the custom field to "{time24}"

I have mine so it gets set to "Now" and then the DUE DATE gets set to 5 business days but the time continues to default to 11:59 pm and this is an issue because our team is in all time zones so when I set it here in AZ to "Dec 6, 2022 11:59 pm" it shows up to the coast team as "Dec 7, 2022 1:59 pm". 

To further complicate things, when the time changes back in the fall, AZ doesn't change time so it will then show to east coast team members as "Dec 7, 2022 2:59 pm".

Thanks for any advice.

Eric "C" SIrianni December 7, 2022

I'll let Nathan chime in here cause I didn't end up setting things up this way. Good luck!

Still dreaming of a feature where you can set the "Working Days/Hours" and to be able to set holidays as non-working days. Every holiday for me is clouded by needing to keep an eye on Trello to manually update customer's delivery dates when they submit requests. Haha.

Like Niki Lentz likes this
Niki Lentz December 7, 2022

Would LOVE to have that as well!

Like Eric "C" SIrianni likes this
Nathan Smith
Atlassian Team
December 28, 2022

Hey @Niki Lentz 

Custom Fields and Due dates in Trello are adjusted to match someone's local timezone, if you're wanting to set your Custom fields and have them show the same time for everyone the best way to do this would be to change your Custom Field to be text rather than date, this way you can set a custom field to {time24} and it'll be shown the same for everyone.

Like Eric "C" SIrianni likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events