Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can I create labels that apply to all boards in a workspace?

I have a workspace with multiple boards corresponding to interdependent tasks. So sometimes Task 1 requires a step from Task 2.

I've created labels Task1 and Task2 so every time Task2 is added to a card on the first board, I will have Butler copy and link the cards onto the second board. However, it looks like labels are only per board, which means that I'll have to create the Task1 and Task2 labels for every board. It is manageable for now, but I anticipate needing 20+ tasks which will be very cumbersome. Is there a way to create labels on a workspace level, so that they apply to every board within them?

2 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley Community Leader Jul 11, 2021

@Emily Foead so you have a board for each task? That doesn't sound quite right. Can you elaborate a little bit on what Task 1 and Task 2 are?

This is going to be for a small organization so technically I guess tasks aren't the right term for it. As an example, Task 1 might be something like 'Soft Launch of platform' and Task 2 might be 'Promotional campaign in Indonesia'

So for example, the person in charge of the Promotional Campaign might need a list of the available service offerings from the Soft Launch team in order to prepare marketing materials. They create a card called 'Marketing Materials' and in the description, they say 'Need list of available service offerings' while adding the label 'Soft Launch'. This triggers the automation to copy that card to a list called 'Dependencies' in the Soft Launch board so the Soft Launch team can see who needs what from them.

Iain Dooley Community Leader Jul 12, 2021

@Emily Foead okay so it sounds like what you want is:

1) You have multiple projects

2) From any project board you would like to be able to add a label with the name of another project board and have the trigger card copied into that project board and the 2 cards linked

In order to achive this I'd recommend a "board of boards", that is, a board where each card represents a project and each card is linked to that project board.

When cards are added to the "board of boards" the linked project boards are automatically created, and a label with the same name is automatically added to each of the pre-existing project boards by looping through each card in the overview board and creating a label in the linked board.

When a label is added to a card in any of the project boards, find a card with the same name in the overview board and copy the trigger card into it, linking the 2 cards together.

Unfortunately this automation isn't possible with Butler at the moment but we would be able to build this for you relatively easily using our BenkoBot platform:

http://www.benkobot.com/

@Emily Foead 

Try it. From what I know, when you copy a card where you have some labels and these labels are not on the destination boards, Trello will create the labels for you on the destination boards. Same goes with custom fields. 

Hi milynnus, thanks for the advice. I have tried it and noticed that behavior, which is helpful! However, it doesn't solve the issue of every board needing to be able to apply every other label. It won't always be going from Board 1 to Board 2, sometimes Board 2 will need to apply a label corresponding to Board 5, for example, and if the label is not already created on Board 2, then I still need to create every label on every board.

@Emily Foead 

As you propagate the cards, this 'auto' labels creation will take place. At some point you will reach the state you want. There is a danger that other labels get carried to the new board.

Maybe, do a one time copy to all the 20 boards with a card with all the labels you want.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

🏊‍♀️ Atlympic Event: Trello

Hello Community!  Quick disclaimer: We are running a contest on Community (The Atlympics!) from July 23rd - August 8th of 2021. If you are interested in participating in this contest (prizes! ...

84 views 0 8
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you