Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I build a Power-up that can alter width of Trello Lists?

Andrew Davis February 7, 2019

Hello, I really like almost everything in Trello, except for the fixed/width lists.
I have very small pieces of information I wish to use Trello lists for, and the excess width makes things difficult for me. (Almost to the point of looking for a different product)

I don't mind doing the work of developing a power-up that can do so, if that is even possible.
However, I'm very new to Trello, I read a bit of the power-up documentation, but do not have a full understanding yet.

My questions are:

1) Is it possible to develop a power-up that can alter the width of Trello lists?

2) Does the Trello team have any plans of making list width control a native feature?

I can "fix" this myself on Google Chrome using CSS, or one of the many chrome extensions available, however, I'm not interested in this solution, as I would like to use Trello both on my mobile device and Windows store app, both of which chrome extensions naturally cannot interact with.

Thank you,
Andrew

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2019

@Andrew Davis no this isn't possible in a power up, only a browser extension

Thanks for the response and for confirming this.

That is quite unfortunate.
I hope they will consider adding this feature.
That one small change will give a lot of flexibility to users.

I'm currently using Trello more as a "Day Planner", and most of m task list are simple 1-2 words like: Sleep, Wake, Breakfast, Reply Clients, Develop XYZ, etc...

Trello seems almost perfect for what I'd like to do (and nice cross device compatibility), except that 2/3rd's of my valuable screen width is wasted empty space.

I'll continue to look around and brainstorm a bit.
Thanks again.

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2019

@Andrew Davis If you're using it for stuff like that, you might find that single cards with activities grouped into checklists on that card is a better fit. You can create a new card with a fresh checklist each day using the card repeater power up

Like Andrew Davis likes this

@Iain Dooley Thanks much for the suggestion, I will look into this.

I was in the middle of writing a follow-up/conclusion, before you wrote:

-----

I eventually worked out an alternative setup that I think I can work with, using Trello.

I'll have to do my own modifications via CSS on Google Chrome.

(I created a new profile and a shortcut to launch Trello from, as an alternative to using the Windows App. 
I often have 100+ chrome tabs opened, and did not want to be forced to launch my entire chrome browser every time I want to access Trello.)

I could have easily gone wild with Chrome customization from the start, however, this will have my Trello board on other synced apps in a mess (irrelevant).

I worked out a middle-ground that I think can work,

I have my lists as time periods (6) of the day,

8 AM - 12 AM
12 PM - 4 PM
4 PM - 8 PM
... etc

I will create tasks in another list(s), where I can drag and drop, and remove as needed, to quickly plan my day using pre-made tasks.

While I am shortening the list width via Chrome, at least this setup shouldn't cause my board to become unusable in the mobile app. (Width is still the same on there, but list is structured in a way I can still use it.)

Thanks again for the help, Iain!
Andrew

Like Iain Dooley likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events