Can I add one free power up to each Team Board or only Personal Boards using the free Version??

Ayla_Bellears May 2, 2020
  1. I am wanting to add calendar power up to one board on each of my teams. Do I need a paid version to do this? Also with Gold or Business Class, do I need to pay the fee for each Team? Am I better off having each client's boards under my personal boards rather than teams? 

1 answer

0 votes
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2020

Hi @Ayla_Bellears 

Welcome to the Community!

On the free version of Trello, you can have one PowerUp per board, on Trello Gold you can have three.

Free - individual plan

Gold - individual plan

Business Class (BC) - team plan

If you wanted to upgrade just yourself to Gold, so that you could have 3 PowerUps, then it would be one cost. If other's want Gold they would pay for it themselves, you can't set it up so that you 'control' their access, so they would have to upgrade their account themselves because Gold is a personal plan.

If you went to BC for just you, that would be a single charge and you would have to start a Team - because you upgrade the Team, not the individual. E.g. I had a Business Class Team of 1, me, then I added my husband and the price doubled. You don't upgrade the person with Business Class, you upgrade the whole team.

If you have eight Team Members already, the price would be applied when you upgrade (8 charges of around $140 each member for the year - which has 1 billing account - whoever sets up the team will be billed for it), so think carefully before you upgrade an existing team, otherwise, the bill can be quite steep! If you want to upgrade a single team - think about who is already a team member. If you want to upgrade multiple teams - this would mean multiple charges, if someone is a team member on 3 teams, and you upgrade 3 teams, that would work out to be quite expensive, because you upgrade the team with the number of members it has and not the individuals. So if you have 2 people on 3 teams and you upgrade all the teams that would be $278.98 x 3 per year + anyone else you add to it. Personally, I started a new Team with just me, and upgraded that one and worked everything else out after!

If you wanted 2 Team members, the price would double (currently $278.98 per year for 2 Team members, this is what I have). If you wanted to have BC just for you (1 charge), you could create a team of 1 and you could add individuals to boards within the BC team, you would only be charged once, however as soon as you add an individual to 2 or more boards they become multi-board guests and you will be charged for them, at the standard team member rate.

Please let me know if this isn't clear, it's quite difficult to get your head around at first, so I'm happy to help!

Esme :)

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2020

@Ayla_Bellears to add to this excellent rundown from @Esme Crutchley there is a limit of 10 boards for a free team.

The powerup limit of 1 per board on a free team or one per personal board is the same regardless.

The reason you might choose to put boards into a team is if you need to take advantage of the features that teams offer, eg. the ability for people to see boards without being a member of the board, and without making the board public.

If you don't have that requirement, then the only reason you would need to make your boards part of a team is if you needed Business Class, for example to allow more than one power up per board or to pool your Butler quota.

Long story short, if you just have a bunch of boards and you want 1 power up per board and you want to share those boards with some people, using personal boards will be fine.

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2020

Thanks for that @Iain Dooley 

I can confirm that a lot of the time, the reason that people make a 'Business Class team of one' is for the increase in Butler commands compared to the free and Gold versions (they are significantly higher in BC), that's why I changed to BC. The ability to add as many PowerUps as I wanted to each board was great too, but the main reason was because of the limitations to Butler:

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 07.22.21.png

Butler features and quotas 

As Iain has said, Free Teams are free and you can have 10 boards and as many people as you like, either in the team or in the individual boards, and this works well for a LOT of people. Some people spend years on Trello with free teams and never go to BC. 

This is the help page on Personal vs team boards 

Please remember that Gold is individual (one charge to the individual) and Business Class is a team (the person who sets up the team will be charged for however many people are on the TEAM (at team level - not board level) or people who are on more than one board (multi-board guests) at the time of upgrade.

If you want 3 PowerUps per board and 200 Command Runs per month and want everyone to pay for themselves, then Gold is the way forward (for everyone who wants it). If you need more than that, then BC is the way forward, but please remember there is a significant difference in price for these two options. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events