Can I add an attachment or a checklist in another checklist?

Wendy Papadakis February 27, 2022

Hi I am new to Trello and although easy to learn on my own cannot find one functionality I really need. We are trying to create several checklist that can be used by employees both seasoned and new. The initial checklist for each card has the high level steps that have to be done. What we want though is to provide more detailed steps within each item of that checklist for new folks.  So for example if the checklist was:

Update Client Interest Spreadsheet 

Provide Leads to Partner

these would be clear on how to do with someone seasoned. But let's say new...we want to add additional detail under that checklist and it can even be an attachment but we can't figure out how to get the attachment under each checklist item. 

Update Client Interest Spreadsheet

1. Open CIS excel doc located at....

2. Click on the tab with your name listed at the bottom

3. Input the Client # in filed...

Provide Leads to Partner

1. Copy and paste the lead info into....

2. Send an emailed copy to the assigned partner and supervisor, etc.

Is there a way to do this without having to make each checklist item an individual card bc we have so many items on our checklist. 

Thanks so much!

1 answer

1 vote
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2022

Hi @Wendy Papadakis 

While you can't strictly have a checklist embedded inside another checklist, you can use hyperlinks in checklists (which is SUPER handy!). I use them all the time when I need someone to take an action on say Dropbox or Google Drive, they're so useful! (I've explained at the bottom how I set mine up)

The format is:

[this is the bit that'll show in the list](this is the URL that you want to point them to).

Make sure that the ]( don't have a space, between them and it'll turn it into a link!

So you could have this as a checklist item

[Open the CIS excel document](link to the document).

This help page might help if I haven't explained it properly!

(Explanation of mine:

[do this thing](the URL of the thing they need to do) || instruction 1 || instruction 2 || instruction 3

I split mine up by using the || (above the \ key, press it twice to get two) so that its easy to see the different sections within a single checklist item, but that might not work for you)

CleanShot 2022-03-03 at 22.23.01@2x.png

Esme 🙂

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2022

Sorry, another thought!

The other option that I've found to be super handy is to have the first 'thing' in bold (using ** around the words**), and then all the subsequent sub-things (the next items in the checklist) in italics (using _then the thing_).

If you want to use **bold** - you want to put it inside the square brackets, like this [**This is an item**](https://Google.com)

I've even gone so far as to use → to denote a sub-task or instruction! I use emoji's a lot in my space too, which can be handy to recognize tasks & information. I use the ℹ️ a lot!

CleanShot 2022-03-03 at 22.19.09@2x.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events