Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Board Lists a Daily, Weekly, Monthly Planner Board with Automation Rules/Variables

Galen Ash April 14, 2023

HELLO TRELLO COMMUNITY

I would appreciate anyone's help in creating functional Trello Automations, Rules, Variables etc, and perhaps also suggest any PowerUps that you think might be a huge help for my application.

Objectives

1. I would like to set up a Dynamic Calendar but in the Kanban Board View (Based on 'Due Dates'). I will create a Board for each Month of the year, and within each month Board,

1a. I will name the first list 'Overdue', 'Today', then name each List by Day, Date, Day number (Ex. Monday, Jun 1) for the 31 days of the month.

Example: Lists in Board  'JUNE 2023'

*Overdue*   *Today*     *Mon. Jun 1*    *Tue. Jun 2*     *Wed. Jun 3*    (to Jun 30th)

1b. I will then create my Cards which will all have a Due Date assigned to them, which will be placed under the corresponding List that has the same Day, Month & Day Number name associated with it.

2. I will need to create a few Automations and possibly some variables, however I am brand new to Trello, so any help on How to Create the Automations would be greatly appreciated.

2a. Automation #1: I want to Move all Cards with a Due Date of tomorrow's date* Mon. Jun 1* to the List *Today* (as date becomes the next day starting at 12:00 am).

2b. Automation #2: I now want to Move that empty List called *Mon. Jun 1* to Archive or to another board of my choice.

2c. I then want the next List named *Tue. Jun 2* to now be positioned beside the list *Today* (to the right of *Today*). And the above automation will happen day after day until June 30th. By June 30th, I will only have the list *Overdue* & *Today*.

3. Automation #3: I want to Move any Card from the *Today* list to *Overdue* once the next day becomes 12:00 am (yesterday's date). 

4. Automation #4: Is there an effective Automation where I can Create a board and automatically allow me to setup 30 to 32 Lists as a Date Range Start Day, Month, Day Number? I would also want to have the default Lists called *Overdue* & *Today* in the first 2 positions, followed by the 1st to 31st of whatever month I am creating.

Thanks Again

Galen

1 answer

0 votes
Beverley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2023

Hi Galen,

It sounds like you’ve done quite a bit of research so far! I can’t speak for the other applications, but I believe Trello would be a great option to have as your personal planner!

When you add due dates to cards, you can manually sort a list by due date, or you could create automations to sort cards by due date, or move cards to another list when it is overdue or completed. Due dates on a card are also color coded based on when the card is due.

You can take advantage of the Calendar view available in the Premium Workspace, and the Calendar Power-Up in the free Workspace. These show a visual overview of the cards with due dates on your board, so you’ll be able to see what you have planned for the day, in a given week or month - both are available on the web browser/desktop app, and mobile app. The mobile app also has a ‘My Cards’ tab where you can view your cards sorted by due date - past due, due later, and no due date.

Additionally, sometimes one of the best ways to get started with Trello is to see how other people are using it to gain perspective on their own projects. Check out our Templates page and our Trello Playbooks here.

I hope that sheds some insight on what’s possible with Trello :)

Galen Ash April 18, 2023

Hello Beverley

Thanks very much for all of your thoughts and suggestions. 

I edited my original post. It was far too long and not necessary to add all the unimportant information.

Im stilling hoping you or someone else might be able to help with the Automations I am trying to create.

Thanks Again

Galen

Beverley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 18, 2023
Hi Galen,

The Calendar Power-Up is available on all Workspaces. There should be a Week and Month view that you can toggle between in the Calendar Power-Up.
The Standard Workspace doesn’t have additional calendar views, however the Premium Workspace has more views available, such as the Calendar view and Timeline view available. The Calendar view in the Premium Workspace includes the ability to view by day, week, and month. These views group cards by date, and not by lists. We do have a free 14-day trial of Premium which you are welcome to try.

Here are a few automation examples that may be helpful based on your questions:
  • Regarding grouping board lists by due date, you could create an Automation Board Button to "arrange the lists on this board by title"
  • If you want to view today’s list on your mobile app everyday, you could create the rule: "everyday move list {date} to the top of the board." There are a number of automation date variables available.
  • You could create a Due Date rule: "When a card is due in 3 days, move it to a specific list."

I would encourage you to explore the productivity Trello templates that the Trello community have created. This may give you more inspiration and insight on ways to set up a planner board.
Galen Ash April 19, 2023

Hello Beverley

Thank you for the great information and suggestions. I will check out and try out a few of the ideas you have given me.

I certainly appreciate your thoughts and help on this.

Galen

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events