Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Butler trigger id

Gøran Langgaård September 20, 2019

hi there! I´m stuck on finding the logic for a basic butler trigger id..

I try to populate a custom field, from a custom field combined with the value from a prefix in said custom field.

this rule works perfect:

when a card is added to the board, set custom field "NC Task id" to {triggercardnumber}"

BUT, I have in the power up "card numbers" set a prefix to each of our boards to be able to give them a unique id across boards. I am not able to pick up this prefix trigger from butler? as I would like it to popular the field with prefix then cardnumber.

cardnumberprefix.png

basically I can make the rule to add a prefix by just typing it in the rule, but that would force me to create a separate rule for each new board..

anyone able to help me?

1 answer

0 votes
Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2019

@Gøran Langgaård 

I think that's bad luck.

You are using a 3rd party add-on. Whilst these add-ons usually work fine, they rarely work well with each other.

cheers, yeah I guess that's bad luck.. but irony is that it works well on the first half of the logic (from the same 3rd party add-on).. I was most curious if someone had managed to single out the variable name for the prefix..

*and pS if you could help me with the variable for how to make butler populate and empty cell (i.e I have a huge number of cards with a blank custom field, I need that field filled out with a value. everything works except Butler cannot (in my hands at least) recognise an empty cell until its content is i.e deleted then I can make the logic work..  

Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2019

@Gøran Langgaård 

I am not sure if I get you right. But populating a blank custom field or clearing a custom field is quite easy with Butler.

I have recently published an article with 5 hacks for custom fields in Trello. Hack #2 explains how to populate a custom field by default.

Are you using the action "set custom field XXX to YYY", and are you saying that Butler isn't overwriting an already existing value with "YYY"?

If so, I'd contact the Trello support. You might have come across a bug.

-- Does that help?

thx for your reply!

the hacks where a good read for sure, figured most of that out the hard ways though;-)

I see I was bad at explaining.. I´m sure what I want is so basic there got to be a solution to it.. I´ve just run myself blind..

I just need to create a rule that identifies and populates blank custom field x with value y (see below for illustration..)

custom field empty.png

Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2019

@Gøran Langgaård 

Okay, I now understand what you mean. There isn't an option currently, that would target only blank custom fields.

The only thing you could do is setting up a feature request and requesting this. They do keep working on Butler, so this might be responded to.

If you want to do this, click on 3 dots in the upper Butler right screen, and then on Feedback & Feature Requests.

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2019

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events