Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Butler sort by due date not working correctly

Tiffany September 17, 2021

I would like to sort my cards by due date in my lists on a board.  I'm currently clicking on the list actions menu > Sort by... > due date.  What this does is what I would like to see - it sorts by due dates with most recent at the top and the ones that are due later towards the bottom.  What this action also does is take the "completed" ones and move them all the way to the bottom.  So if I have an overdue card it still remains at the top of the list.  This is what I want to see when I use butler rules, but what is happening is its sorting by only due date and not taking into account the ones that are complete and moving them to the bottom.  so when I use butler its leaving the completed ones at the top as their due dates are typically earlier or past.  how can I use automation and have it sort correctly + move the completed cards to the bottom like the list action menu sort by? 

1 answer

0 votes
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2021

Hi @Tiffany ,

welcome the Atlassian Community!

What I don't understand from your description is how you distinguish between completed and non-completed cards - do you have some label or custom field or something else for it?

I usually archive the card, when it is done, but there's probably some reason, why you still need to see the completed cards on the board.

Thank you.

Tiffany September 18, 2021

When you set a due date on a card it gives you the option to complete the card by applying the check mark next to the due date.  I’ve also noticed that the sort by feature in the Trello app does not sort like the web site/app in that when you sort by due date in the Apple app it leaves the completed items at the top and just sorts by the due date, whereas the website moves the complete items to the bottom of the list and sorts only non completed cards by due date.

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2021

Hi @Tiffany ,

I apologize for the late answer. And thank you for the clarification.

It is possible to use two criterias in automation sorting, unfortunately not the "complete/incomplete" attribute of the due date, but overall due date, custom field and label.

The only possibility I can think of is to use custom field or label to mark "incomplete" issues, so the second critearia for sorting can be used.

There are triggers, which can be used to help you automate the marking proces, something like:

when the due date is marked as complete in a card, remove the green label from the card
when the due date is marked as incomplete in a card, add the green label to the card

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events