Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Butler rule for adding card to a board if your assigned tasks

Beth Maxwell July 17, 2020

Can this be done? 

When I am assigned a card or checklist item on any board in my team. I would like it to copy of the card or convert the checklist item to a card that is added to a list on a my work tracking dashboard.  

I assume I would have to create rule for every board I am on but wanted to check to see if it can be done any other way. 

1 answer

0 votes
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2020

Hi @Beth Maxwell 

Ths simple answer to this is yes! Furthermore, you would only have to write it once, then just hop onto all the boards you're on, open Butler, find the rule and click 'enable on this board'.

However, I would caution against doing it.

Doing this would mean that you have an isolated static copy of the card in a board of your choice. If there are lots of people on the card, they'll be editing the one on the original board and updating it and changing it and you won't see the updates because you'll have essentially created a silo. It will also mean that any time you're added to a checklist, the card will create itself again and you'll have two copies of the same card. Indeed, anything that you write on the card that the rest of the team need to see, they couldn't, so you'd end up doubling your workload because you'd have to update two cards.

You also wouldn't know if you had been removed from the card or checklist item and might end up with cards you no longer need to act on or spending time doing something that doesn't need to be done anymore.

You could mitigate this to some extent, by linking to two cards together, so that you could click on the attached card and it would get you into the original card, but that's still going to leave information alone and essentially in a void.

Might I suggest that you try a different approach?

If you have say 10 boards that you have assigned cards and checklist items, you might want to create a card per board in your destination board and have linked item checklists. Then, whenever anyone adds you to a card, the original card will be linked in the checklist on the board of your choosing, likewise when someone adds you to a checklist item.

The rules could look something like this:

Screenshot 2020-07-19 at 15.23.37.pngYou could enable that on any boards you're on, then when you're added to a card it'll put the clickable card link in a checklist {triggercardlink}. You could go further and set it due in 2 days, or make any other amendments that you wanted, so that it would be visual on your board of choice.

Then for a checklist item that's assigned to you, you could have virtually the same thing:

Screenshot 2020-07-19 at 15.26.12.png

There are ways that you could also remove a {triggercardlink} from your card if you're removed from either the card or the checklist item, but I'll leave that for now!

If you really want to have the copy option, this is how to do it:

Screenshot 2020-07-19 at 15.33.11.png

Then just change the trigger to 'when I am added to a card' - and make sure that both rules (the card and checklist item) are running on all the boards you're a member of, then you'll have all the cards you're on as well as any checklist items you're assigned coming into one board.

I hope that's helpful. If you want me to go through anything step by step I'm more than happy to do so, so that you can see each screen and what to put where to get the rules above. It can be tricky to work out (I spent hours working on rules that went funny!), so I'm more than happy to do screen by screen if that would be helpful!

Esme :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events