Butler power-up can't do what Command Builder could?

Jana Lombardi April 8, 2019

I've been using Butler for a number of years and absolutely love it. I'm in the process of migrating all my bot command cards over to the power-up and have come across an issue I can't figure out.

Here's the card I want to recreate:

card.PNG

It appears that the new way to build commands doesn't allow you to mix and match all the things like you could in the bot. Commands are segmented into "rules" and "calendar". I can find the sticker application in the rules area, but not in calendar. Further, I can't find a way to simply edit the text of the command.

Am I missing something? thanks!

card2.PNG

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2019

@Jana Lombardi 

Hi Jana,

It's true that the Butler Power-Up is still in a transition process. It still cannot do all the the things the ButlerBot could. I have the same problems as you.

Some commands cannot be re-created in the Power-Up. Not yet.

If you want to, have a look at this article How to Migrate ButlerBot Commands to the Butler Power-Up. It explains a few things.

Jana Lombardi April 10, 2019

Thanks, Katrin. I have hopes that the power-up will someday be as powerful and flexible. I absolutely love my bot.

Like Katrin Anger likes this
Jeff Post February 16, 2022

Looks like a Great Article!  but the link is dead :(

1 vote
Jana Lombardi April 29, 2019

Here is the workaround I created (I don't like it because it creates another command and eats into our account max): After I created the 'every 4 weeks on Friday' calendar command, I created a new rule that says when a card with title 'every 4 week on Friday' is created, add the star sticker. I've tested it and it works.

As I migrate all of our commands from the bot to the powerup I am realizing how much I don't like the new system! I know it'll be updated as time goes on, but paying for the kinks to be worked out sucks.

Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2019

@Jana Lombardi 

Hi Jana, I'd say there are clearly some actions missing in the Calendar command type.

I recommend you set up a feature request, because it should be possible for all users to have a label, sticker or something else added when a new card is added with specific search criteria.

@Katrin Anger can you please link where I need to do that? I tried in the general support area but it doesn't allow me to specify Trello as what I'm making a suggestion about...?

Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 29, 2019

@Jana LombardiYes, I can :)

Open the Butler Power-Up and then click on the 3 dots in the top right corner:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-29 um 16.27.26.png

@Katrin Anger thank you! Done!

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2019

@Jana Lombardi yes that's right, Butler Bot had lots more functionality -- it was closer to being a complete programming language.

I have created a framework called Trellinator for automating Trello with Google Apps Script and ported about 1600 Butler commands over to it for my clients, you can see the Trellinator version of the above command here:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/ba49777ee257a58a7096b044994110ff

Trellinator is free, and you can set it up yourself inside Google Drive, just follow these instructions:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-articles/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

That quick start tutorial doesn't cover how to set up a time trigger though -- what you would need to do is install the above function on the target board as a time trigger to execute at the desired time on a Friday, then it would repeat every Friday after that.

Jana Lombardi April 10, 2019

Thank you, Iain!

Like Iain Dooley likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events