Butler gather a number from a Card Title, and add to a custom field?

Cody Pieper November 14, 2019

Hello,

I'm copying ticket numbers from our slightly decrepit ticketing system, so I can integrate cards with trello/cronofy due dates.

I copy text in this format:

Ticket #123456: Example Ticket for John Doe

I would like to copy this text to a Card Title, and then have Butler place "123456" into my custom field for ticket number if possible.

Also if possible, I'd love to be able to remove the first 16 characters (including spaces) to remove "Ticket #123456: " from the Card Title.

I'd love to hear any ideas on this, thanks in advance for any of your time :)

Regards,

Cody

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2019

@Cody Pieper this Butler command does what you need:

when a card with a name starting with "Ticket #{*}: {*}" is added to the board, set custom field "Ticket Number" to "{wildcard1}", and rename the card to "{wildcard2}"

Cody Pieper November 17, 2019

Thanks very much, that works perfectly!

0 votes
Ricardo B. January 8, 2020

wildcards do not seem to be working for me. Because the issue is happening on a large and complex board, I've set up a mockup board to test where I isolated the behavior I need: https://trello.com/b/VZaoLAI4

As you can see, I have 2 lists: "References" and "People". Cards under "References" are titled in the format [Reference Number] [Reference Name].

I will have an external system updating custom field "Reference #" in cards under the "People" list through Zapier. When this happens, I'd like Butler to look this reference number from the cards in the "References" list and set custom field "Reference Name" appropriately.

I expected this rule to work (the relevant part is in bold):

when custom field "Reference #" is set in a card in list "People", lookup a card titled "{{%Reference #}} {*}" in list "References", set custom field "Reference Name" to "{wildcard1}", post comment "Reference: {wildcard1}", add link "{foundcardlink}", find a card titled "{{%Reference #}} {*}" in list "References", and post comment "{triggercardname} {triggercardlink} is using this reference."

As you can see I am also attaching the reference card to the person card and posting appropriate comments.

As you can see on cards Anthony and Bruce on the mockup board I've sent, "Reference Name" never gets set. And the wildcard is empty when used in the posted comment.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Ricardo B. January 14, 2020

Hi all, just in case someone needs this, I have just received word from Trello support and wildcard variables only work from the trigger condition.

While you CAN use something like lookup a card titled "{{%Reference #}} {*}" in list "References" in the rule, you will NOT be able to access the contents of the wildcard using {wildcard1}.

Trello support mentioned they would add this as a feature request that could be added someday... Hopefully they will indeed.

Cheers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events