Butler commands have stopped working randomly!

josef novak May 1, 2022

I use this template: https://trello.com/templates/productivity/daily-task-management-GT0TOUyX

Then I have 2 types of task defined:

1. to rename list done today to date of the day

COMMAND: every weekday at 11:45 pm, rename list "Done Today" to "{date-1wd~dddd, MMMM Do YYYY}", and create a unique list named "Done Today" in position 2 

This used to be working, but now for some reason it renames all lists Done Today to Thursday, April 28 2022...

2. I have setup unique cards which should appear in list called Backlog like - 

COMMAND: every weekday at 1:00 am, create a unique card with title "exercise" in list "Backlog"

Again this used to be working, but now missing tasks from the list are not appearing (I Am not speaking about these already there)

It used to work like already over a month, I didn't change anything and all of the sudden it is broken what the heck?

2 answers

0 votes
josef novak May 16, 2022

Sorry it doesn't allow me to quote posts... System didn't let me post, it said: I posted same thing previously. I tried to space the sentence I thought was posted previous, but it didn't work, so I tried posted here...

wd = working day, so -0wd=Friday (today being Monday). What do you want the list to be renamed to? If you want it to be renamed to Sunday, then you would use -0d. 

If I test run the command, both -0wd, 1wd rename now list Done Today to 13/5 which was 3 day ago!

"{date- 1wd~d ddd, MMM M Do YY YY}"
Log for today (16 th): 

Running command on board "Daily Task Management"

I renamed list "Done Today" to "Friday, May 13th 2022".

I created a list called "Done Today".

Total operations: 2

It either does nothing, or it renames list to wrong date. I was wonder while I have old dates sometimes appearing! It ran today 12:36, while it was scheduled yesterday for 11:45 (which is also strange). Still that doesn't explain it changed date to 3 days back.

1wd was set. Now I tried 0wd to test run the command manually and still same result. It renamed list to 13th.

To that second issues. Today all cards mysteriously appeared! It wasn't working yesterday, that was after I changed run time to 5AM to test my hypothesis that it doesn't work if I have it open in browser and it is past the date the command was supposed to run. Because I noticed it happened when I didn't shutdown my computer before due date command was meant to run (it wasn't that)...

Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2022

If today is Monday, May 16th then:
-0wd = Friday, May 13th
-1wd = Thursday, May 12th

I'm not sure why both -0wd and -1wd are showing as Friday 13th. Maybe your butler timezone doesn't match your actual timezone?

I don't know if I can help troubleshoot any further - I'm just a community member so I don't have access to any logs to help give you any insights. You can reach out to Trello directly if things still aren't adding up.

josef novak May 17, 2022

I think I know what happened partially from tutorial for this template I Am using: https://www.mfry.uk/articles/trello-template-help?utm_source=trello&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=referal 

"Each day at 01:00 Butler will rename list Done Today to a new list with yesterday's date - so you'll have a historical view what tasks you've completed each day. A new Done Today list will be created."

So I assumed this command ( {date-1wd~dddd, MMMM Do YYYY} )renames list Done Today each day to the actual day. I had it previously set to 1:00 AM as instructed, but it didn't work either after time. It doesn't make sense -1wd would be Thursday each day in relation to this command, otherwise it wouldn't work as intended!

But I put that back to next day, as it changes name of list to previous day instead of to current day, which still doesn't add up!

Well I will try to use command as I used it before at 5AM to see what happens: "every weekday at 5:00 am, rename list "Done Today" to "{date-1wd~dddd, MMMM Do YYYY}", and create a unique list named "Done Today" in position 2"

I found on help pages that time zone sets automatically, and I have set on my computer my physical time zone. There is no pop out window, so that should be fine...

Yeah if it doesn't help I will contact trello directly thanks!

0 votes
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2022

Hi @josef novak !

1. What is the expected behaviour for the first command? Thursday, April 28 2022 is correct based on the date variable that you mentioned. You might want to use {date-0wd~dddd, MMMM Do YYYY} instead? See: https://help.trello.com/article/1159-arithmetic-in-date-variables

Note: In working days values, {date+1wd} is not the next working day but the date after a working day has passed. This subtle distinction only matters if the date falls on a weekend: Saturday +1 working day is Tuesday. To obtain the next working day, use {datelong+0wd}; to obtain the previous working day, use {datelong-0wd}.

2. Is there anything in the command logs to say why the card wasn't created as expected? Maybe there is already a card in the backlog list called "exercise"? 

josef novak May 14, 2022

1. I don't understand this command, I have it from that link of Daily Task Management Template. 0wd is supposed to be Sunday, yet the command (when it works) renames list Done Today to day which is that day and not only to sunday! I will try 1wd anyways if it won't work, now it works again it seems.

2. Weird, I checked multiple commands which didn't appear and they all have last 14 days, that either new card was created, or not because same already exist in list. Yet I have it that on a next day, I have no new cards in list while they are missing!

I I have set to create new cards at 1AM. I noticed it is almost like if I shutdown computer before 1AM it works and if not it doesn't - weird. As I go sleep very late. It happens very randomly. I will try set this to like 5AM and will see...

Also in command log there is checked show errors, but I don't see any...

BTW is there any way to select position of card where it appears in a list? I didn't find it on butler blog page and by trial and error. I want to see cards I need to do in morning on top, I Am annoyed by finding them in a list!

Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2022
0wd is supposed to be Sunday

wd = working day, so -0wd=Friday (today being Monday). What do you want the list to be renamed to? If you want it to be renamed to Sunday, then you would use -0d. 

Yet I have it that on a next day, I have no new cards in list while they are missing!

Are there any logs for that day at all?

BTW is there any way to select position of card where it appears in a list? 

When butler creates a new card automatically, it'll be added to the bottom of a list by default. If your command is a rule, you can add another action to your rule to move the card to the top of the list.

If your command is a calendar command, you can add another action to sort your list by age.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events