Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Butler command with something like {triggerboardname}

Eric "C" SIrianni February 2, 2023

Hello! I'm trying to set up a command that will fill in a custom field with the board name that a card was copied from.

The idea is to have the name of the customer's board (who creates the initial card) to populate to a Custom Field on our team's internal board's copy of the card.

The reason for this is despite our best attempts, customers don't always label cards in a way that it's obvious to us who the card is from.The name of customer's boards are the customer's name, so this custom field would allow us to see who the customer is on the face of our copy of the card.

Here's a slimmed down version of this already incredibly complicated chain of commands:
1. when a card is moved into list [LIST NAME] by anyone except me
2. copy the card to the top of list [LIST NAME] on board [BOARD NAME]
3. set custom field [FIELD NAME] to {triggerboardname}
{triggerboardname} is apparently not a thing, but any idea how I could make this work another way?
Hope this makes sense, and happy to clarify anything further. 
Thanks for your time!

1 answer

0 votes
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2023

Hello @Eric "C" SIrianni 

Refer to the Butler Variables documentation page to find the variables related to boards and what each one can do.

Eric "C" SIrianni February 3, 2023

Hey @David Bakkers - thanks for the response.

I'm very familiar with the Variables, but this scenario isn't mentioned in the context of a Board name, and any variation I've tried won't work:

• {previousboardname}
  • {sourceboardname}
  • {triggerboardname}
  • Etc.

The Variables Doc is a great resource and I refer to it often, but once I've spent a good while testing and trying to figure it out myself, I come on this forum to get other's thoughts.

Hoping someone can chime in with some ideas on how to accomplish this.

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2023

I have no idea what documentation you're reading, but the documentation page I gave you a link to makes absolutely no mention of any of those variables.... you've just made them up!!

It does however describe the variable {cardboardname} which works perfectly, as does its ancestor {triggercardboardname}, which also works perfectly... and in the exact scenario you describe.., because I've used it myself.

Using imaginary variables in a workflow has consistently proven to yield unsatisfactory results.

Eric "C" SIrianni February 3, 2023

Good sir, this isn't Twitter. This is a forum where people who pay a lot of money to use a tool ask questions about said tool, because it's complicated to common folk like myself.

You only mentioned a solution once you could use it to attempt to make me feel dumb. If you knew {triggercardboardname} works, why didn't you just lead with that? Check yourself man.

Please don't respond to my inquiries in the future so others who are actually here to help respond to them. 

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2023

Ahhh,.. now I remember why I stopped coming to the public Trello space and spending endless hours a week giving free technical support and advice that I would normally get paid for.

"If you knew {triggercardboardname} works, why didn't you just lead with that?"

Why? Well, I assumed that because you were writing Butler automation scripts, that you had an inquisitive, technical mind and, when given a link to the appropriate documentation, would enjoy the challenge of re-reading it, discovering the error in your understanding, and then feeling that warm inner glow of satisfaction of solving the problem yourself, like this person, instead of having it spoon-fed to you.

That's my fault for making such an assumption about your character and, for that, I apologise.

"Please don't respond to my inquiries in the future"

You can be assured of that, good sir.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events