Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Butler Trigger: "When the name or the description of a card is changed"

Eric "C" SIrianni March 24, 2022

Hello!

It seems in the Butler Bot days it was possible to have the Trigger simply be "when the name or the description of a card is changed", but that no longer seems to be an option and the closest I can get to it is this:

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 2.15.57 PM.png

What I'd love to be able to accomplish is when anyone changes the name or description on a card, it finds the copy of a card on another board and changes the name or description to match.
I'd also be open to to it just sending a message to a Slack channel letting us know a card name or description has been changed. Our system heavily relies on card names, and the description needs to match on multiple boards.
Appreciate your advice!

2 answers

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2022

@Eric "C" SIrianni 

If this is critical to your business. you can setup an webhook with idModel = board id and you can filter action with type = updateCard and if the key 'old' = 'name' or 'desc' then you can using that to trigger a follow up action on the board or simply add a comment to the card which I believe can trigger a slack notification. 

I used the above in my MirrorSync project. You can ignore most the post and look at the first video. It handles name change via a webhook.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-discussions/A-MirrorSync-project/td-p/1818040

Eric "C" SIrianni March 25, 2022

This looks awesome, but considering I don't know what most of what you said means it might be best for me to stick with Butler 😂  Really appreciate the response though!

0 votes
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2022

Hi @Eric "C" SIrianni ! Yes, you're right - there's no obvious way to achieve this, but I believe the below rule should do what you want:

when the description of a card contains "{carddescription}", find the first card linked in the attachments, and set the card's description to "{triggercarddescription}"

The same should work for the card name using the {cardname} variable.

Eric "C" SIrianni March 31, 2022

Hey @Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows! Really appreciate the response, and sorry mine is so late! 

The one complication with this method is the first board in the equation is the customer's board, and we can't allow them to gain access of our internal systems so linking the other card as an attachment isn't an option. 

I tried a few variations of this but the best I could get was the name of the card on the second board went blank.

when the name of a card in list "List Name" contains "{cardname}", find a card titled "{triggercardpreviousname}" on board "Master Board", and rename the card to "{cardname}"

Can you think of a way to accomplish this with a method similar to above?

Thank you for your time!

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2022

Hey @Eric "C" SIrianni ! Np :) maybe try this one?

when the name of a card contains "{cardname}", find a card titled "{textbefore}", and rename the card to "{triggercardname}"
Like bmr1 likes this
Eric "C" SIrianni April 8, 2022

This is IT!! Thank you so much Hannah!

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 8, 2022

Yay! You're welcome ☺️

Like Eric "C" SIrianni likes this
bmr1 September 21, 2022

Thank you @Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows Hannah. Had the exact situation Eric described, would not have thought of building it this way, worked perfectly. You saved me much time and headache.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events