Butler Help

Lyndsey Fletcher September 26, 2021

Can anyone help me the simplest solution for this.....

I have a board that is a weekly planner - lists for Braindump, Monday, Tuesday etc and then a Snooze List

I have an automation that pulls in my meetings from my booking system and adds them to my braindump list...

I want to automatically move these cards from the brain dump and if they are in the current week - add them to the list for the right day - if they are in the future - I want them to move to the snooze list and then move from the snooze list to the right day of the week the Friday before it is due...

Does what I want to achieve make sense?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2021

@Lyndsey Fletcher when the automation puts them into your board from the booking system, what distinguishes them from other cards and what information on the card reflects the event date?

0 votes
Lyndsey Fletcher September 26, 2021

@Iain Dooley This is what I have managed to do so far! 
when a card is added with a due date then set 2 customer fields to due day of the week and due week of the year. That’s is working perfectly now. 

the next step I want to try to simplify so I don’t have tons of rules and I don’t have to keep changing the week of the year within the rule every week? 

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2021

@Lyndsey Fletcher you might not be able to reduce your total number of rules but have you tried using a variable for the week number instead of hard coding it?

https://help.trello.com/article/1157-variables

Lyndsey Fletcher September 28, 2021

@Iain Dooley  I am using the variable. So far this is what I have done, it works.... but it means going in every week and changing the week numbers...

when a due date is set on a card, set custom field "Due on Day of Week" to "{cardduedateweekdayname}"

when a due date is set on a card, set custom field "Week of the Year" to "{cardduedateweeknumber}"

when all the custom fields are completed in a card with custom field "Week of the Year" set to a number greater than 37 and lower than 53, move the card to the top of list "Snooze List"
when custom fields "Due on Day of Week" are completed in a card with custom field "Due on Day of Week" set to "Monday" with custom field "Week of the Year" set to "37", move the card to the top of list "Monday"
The last rule is repeated for the rest of the days of the week.
Is there a simpler way.....

I would like a simpler way as I have another question around how to share boards and rules with multiple people in the most cost effective way! But I will probably ask that question separately!

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2021

@Lyndsey Fletcher you should be able to use arithmetic with your variables to avoid updating hard coded values:

https://help.trello.com/article/1159-arithmetic-in-date-variables

Lyndsey Fletcher September 29, 2021

Thanks @Iain Dooley 

How would you write the rules for this scenario using this? I am not an expert and it is making my head explode!

Lyndsey Fletcher September 29, 2021

@Iain Dooley @This can be a paid job…. I don’t want to take and advantage of people. 

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 29, 2021

@Lyndsey Fletcher I know that Brittany Joiner and Hannah Morgan (Simpla Workflows) and Sunny Lim (millynus on the community forum) do paid Trello consulting that may include Butler automation.

I don't do paid Butler consulting, but do run a Trello automation platform that can be used to code more complicated automations that aren't possible with Butler:

http://www.benkobot.com/

It requires coding, though, so if you find you can't achieve what you want with Butler then you can let us know and we'll put you in touch with a developer who can set it up for you on BenkoBot.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events