Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Butler: Copy due date when set to linked card

Hi there!

I have two cards within one board that are linked together (also by a Butler automation). When a due date is set on one of the cards (and it didn't previously have a due date yet), I want it to copy the newly set due date to the linked card.

However, this does not seem to be an option within Butler. I can have it find the linked card and set the due date in a week, or on Monday, or whenever, but I cannot copy the due date from the 1st card. 

It can move the due date by the same amount of time when the linked card would already have a due date, but this if often not yet the case, so that doesn't work in this case.

I also can't seem to find the answer here in the Trello community. Does anyone know the solution?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hi @Shelley Barendregt ! Good question - for the moment, there's no way to set a variable on a due date. There is a way to achieve what you want through using custom fields. Here's a video demonstrating how that looks:

"Syncing" due dates between linked Trello cards - Watch Video

Hi @hannahmorg , thanks for your reply and the video! Unfortunately custom fields are only available in the paid Trello plan, right? 

Hi @Shelley Barendregt ! Yes, that's right - so the proposed solution would only work if you have the Standard or Premium plan. Just thought of another "solution"...it's pretty convoluted though 😅
set due date on linked cards.PNG

For the second rule, you used to be able to say "when anyone enters a card name containing a date, set due on the date and remove the matched text" but I couldn't find the action around removing the matched text. I could have just not been looking hard enough though! 

Like Shelley Barendregt likes this

Thanks so much @hannahmorg , this worked!! I made the last step 'and rename {textaftermatch}'.

You're a big help! :)

Like hannahmorg likes this

Ah, perfect! Glad that's working for you! 🙌

Like Shelley Barendregt likes this
0 votes

Hello,

Thank you for your video, it is exactly what I am looking for.

However, I don't know why I can't select the "Custom Due Date" field. It doesn't appear in the proposed custom field. It seems to be because it is a date (all the other custom fields I have created are proposed).

I have the Premium version of Trello.
Do you know how I can solve this problem?

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Trello

Taco Tuesday: New years' resolutions with Trello

Congratulations to @Laura Holton , our latest winner of Taco Tuesday! And thanks to @Kristjan Geir Mathiesen - Origo for sharing the picture of Taco having fun with his new friend...

481 views 19 19
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you