• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Butler Button - allow users to edit ones you created and vice versa?

Two of us on the team are responsible for creating processes and automations. We JUST upgraded to biz class, so we're new with the Butler and powerups, but we learn quickly. 

I created the first two buttons for our board, and my teammate can't edit the buttons I created, and I can't edit the ones that she created. The edit button is grayed out for me when I try to edit hers. I want us both to be able to edit each others'. One, I am the owner of the company, so I want to be able to have access to everything, so if my team changes, I need to be able to edit things that others created instead of having to recreate them myself just to make tweaks.

Is this already possible and I'm just missing something? I checked all the settings and I'm not finding it...

1 answer

0 votes
Esme Crutchley Community Leader Apr 28, 2020

Hi @Angela_Silbernagel 

Welcome to the Community!

Just to clarify, are you talking about board buttons or card buttons?

Let us know and we'll do our best to help!

Esme :)

Hi Esme! 

I was talking about card buttons. I submitted a thing right to the trello team and they gave me an alternative solution - create a general 'bot' user and everyone who creates any automations in the system set up as that user. So that is what I'll probably do. 

Unless you have another solution or idea? Also curious if the board buttons are different? 

Esme Crutchley Community Leader Apr 28, 2020

Hi Angela!

I only ask because card & board buttons and sometimes they behave in different ways. I think as you've had a reply from Trello support, that's probably the one to go with!

If you hadn't had a reply from Trello - this is what I would have suggested:

Have you and she clicked all the options under the buttons in the rules section of Butler?

I only share my team/boards with my husband and he only looks at them on his phone, in the native app, which doesn't include card or board buttons so I don't know if this makes the card and board buttons available to edit for other people. But I've made sure that I've ticked 'enable on all boards' and 'share with team' just in case:

Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 05.59.54.pngScreenshot 2020-04-29 at 06.00.07.pngI don't know if this would work, but I'd probably try it in the first instance.

I don't know what Support have suggested, but if it were me, personally, while there weren't millions of buttons to do it with, I would click on the copy icon then maybe put my initials on the end and your colleague could do the same, so if I wanted my husband to have a button the same as mine, he could save it as 'Sort LC'. That way if I was removed from any of my boards, (random way around I know), then he would still have the buttons he needed. 

Don't be scared to use emoji's in card and board buttons to denote who made it/who is belongs to rather than initials! Both of you can pick an emoji that you want to have on rules, card buttons, board buttons, so that you know if you see a 🎀 you know it's yours and if you see a 💙 then you know it's hers. Try not to have two emoji's that are too similar and you'll be instantly able to see who's button it is!

If you have a specific emoji that you resonate with, use it! Same for your colleague. Then you can decide whose button you want enabled, and untick the 'enabled on this board' on the one you're not using, then if someone leaves you would have the buttons ready to enable!

One thing to remember is that, just because you have 10 buttons that you create and 10 buttons that she's created, doesn't mean that you have to have all of them enabled at once. You can pick and choose which ones to have at any time.

I don't know if that makes sense! Please let me know if this is anything like Support suggested! Or if you'd like more information on anything I've mentioned!

Esme :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

📹 What is Trello?

Hello Community!  My name is Brittany Joiner and I am a Trello enthusiast and Atlassian Community Leader. I'll be sharing with you a series of videos with my top tips on how to best use Trello...

776 views 13 30
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you