Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Butler Board Button: Perform activity for whoever clicks the button?

Cam October 14, 2019

I am diving into the Butler reporting functionality and setting up some quick reports for the team, but I cant seem to get this use case nailed down:

Ideal state/story:

When Sue goes to trello, sue can click the "My Report" button that creates a report showing her where every card Sue is assigned is, including things like column, and custom fields we have to manage our team. The button would email Sue directly.

When Bob goes to trello, the exact same "My Report" button could execute the same thing. Emailing Bob. etc...

The underlining feature/question is butler knowing who clicked the button and all of the actions taken are {buttonclicker}. Each item being able to search for cards {buttonclicker} is assigned, and eventually email the report to {buttonclicker} as the last step.

I know I can already get the report for sue setup and create a "Sue's Report" button, but I would rather not have a button for each team member.

I also know I can create a button with each team members assigned cards and status, but I am not wanting that view at this time.

1 answer

1 vote
Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2019

Hi Cam,

Great question! What you need is the {username} variable from this page: https://help.trello.com/article/1157-variables

You can use that as the username in the report command, and that will dynamically be replaced with whoever actually did the clicking. Trello can't get the member's email address, so you might need to find another way of delivering the report data, but that's the variable you're looking for!

Cam October 22, 2019

Thank you Mike!

I've experimented with the {username} variable after you suggested it. It does get me half way there. Since trello cant get the members email, I wonder if there is a different way...  

My knowledge around the butler option "Get/Post to/Put to URL" is limited, but makes me think this is a way to publish the report (The Post to > URL with header gets into application/json makes me thing this could be done). 

Mike (or anyone else) where can I learn more about this? If we can publish it to a sharepoint site, MS teams instance, or SOMEWHERE that would be awesome!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events