Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Butler/Automation: name of checklist variables

Torsten Berger March 10, 2022

I try to add a button that creates cards from a checklist, I found a list of variables (https://help.trello.com/article/1157-variables) and learned that I use checklistitemname for the name of the task and use checklistitemstate for the state. Works fine. Now how can I keep the set item date and the assigned item member? As the value is there I hope it can be reached to get set on the new card.

1 answer

0 votes
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2022

@Torsten Berger hi there! I don't have a good answer for you - just that I know this is a struggle! It seems weird, because you can set the member and due date as Butler actions, but from what I can tell, you can't use it as a trigger and there's not a variable to reference those pieces.

Hoping @milynnus maybe has an idea? 

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2022

@Torsten Berger @Brittany Joiner 

I have not validated the following:

Here are my initial thoughts :

1. When you convert item to card, the {newcardduedate} and {newcardfirstmemberusername} should be that of the item.
  2. The other option is to use http request at the appropriate automation point to fetch the due date and assign
Torsten Berger March 12, 2022

@milynnus@Brittany Joiner Thanks!

No, that is a dead end. I thought first it shoud keep this information by default (as members and dates are both valid attributes of checklist items and cards, so why would they dissapear when you change a checklist item into a crad?). But they are not transfered automatically.

I used the cascade feature, first I use "for each checklist item" and then:

Screenshot 2022-03-12 180722.png

As you see, I have a free text field for the "Card title" where I use {checklistitemname} (that works fine) but the other fields are just dropdowns (with a selection of all board members). I tried to set a guessed variable there but it just ignores it. I hoped somehow it might work with the right variable name, but can't figure it out.

My test now: If I use your variables in the title field (like "x_{newcardduedate}_x" they come back empty (like "x__x"). If I test checklistitemfirstmemberusername and checklistitemcardduedate they are also empty.

:-/

So again no solution. A nice feature, but if I loose information in the process it is unfortunately useless for us.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events