Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Butler Automation : Create Cards from checklist WITH due date

Israphil February 21, 2023

Hello Guys,
I'm quite new to the community and discovering more and more the fantastic tool that is Trello.

I'm having a problem I can't seem to solve : I work a lot with checklist, and create MANUALLY cards from it. When I do so, the created card has as a due date the due date of the checklist item it comes from :

Screenshot_10.pngScreenshot_1.png

I wanted to automize this process with buttler and found the function to do so :

<when an item is added to a checklist, convert the item to a linked card in list "test">

But when I do so, the AUTOMATED created card is well linked but does not have any due date. It doesn't retain the date information contained in the checklist :

Screenshot_2.pngScreenshot_3.png

Is there a way to carry this information over the automated-linked card? I've tried to use the lookup/found function : it works well to carry some text content but I don't know how to carry a Due Date of a checklist ITEM to a CARD Due date.

It's driving me crazy, there must be a way :p

Thanks a lot !

Regards,
A.RABIEY

1 answer

1 vote
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2023

I really hope Trello will provide us with variables for dates and members of checklist items.  I would also like to see the same filter options available for when a date is set.  I've been crying out for this for ages.  I have come up with some pretty ugly ways to circumvent it but this is the simplest...

There is a textual way to do it. 

Screenshot 2023-02-21 233910.png

Its pretty intuitive.  The command detects pretty much all datestrings you can think of, removes the text from the name and sets the date. For example:

Do this tomorrow
Do that on the 17th Dec at midday
Do this in 1 weeks time
Do that next week on wednesday 

Recording 2023-02-21 234324.gif

Israphil March 1, 2023
  • Thanks !
    this is a good solution.
    I've found another way too if someone is coming by. The function
    convert all the items in checklist "Etape Céramique" into linked cards in list "Transit"

• Will create linked cards with the due date corresponding to the checklist due date. I've created a list where all my linked cards go then more automation comes in play within this list.
Like Dreamsuite Mike likes this
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2023

Yes, this is a solution I use a lot for clients and it opens up so much more flexibility.

I often allow this to be a 2 board set up, where one board is the high level workflow and the linked cards actually go to a team board with To-do, Doing, Done type flow.  You can link back to the checklist items to post comments, or check the linked checklist item off when the card is marked as done.  There is even a way to set the member and due date of the checklist from a linked card but it's a bit ugly

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events