Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Board shifts when I move card

Jenna Grimshaw October 18, 2023

Within the last week or so, whenever I move a card from one list to another, the board shifts to focus on the list that the card was moved to.  

This is extremely annoying b/c my main use of trello is as a weekly task board with the primary list being: TODAY followed by the days of the week.  So as I complete a task on the TODAY list, I move it back to FRIDAY for example b/c I always complete that particular task on Fridays.  

This has been wonderful until a week or so ago.  Now when I move a card from TODAY to FRIDAY, my trello board shifts to focus on the FRIDAY list and I have to scroll back to TODAY.  

Any help on this?

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Raymond Wang
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2023

Hey all (@Jenna Grimshaw@Marko Savic@Ben Butler-Cole@devongleason@Ludovic@Karl Macnaughton@ParaBug@Justin Isaacson@James Letherby@nprocko@zdice), thanks for sending in your feedback. We hear you, and we've decided to bring this behavior back in a change that was just released this morning. If you refresh your Trello page, you should have the new experience. When you move a card, that card will no longer be re-focused; instead, the card that was immediately below the moved card will be re-focused, ensuring that your context is unaffected.

We're grateful for the passion and the feedback — sorry that it took us a few weeks to get back to this one, but we hope that the experience feels less disruptive now!

Justin Isaacson November 20, 2023

Thank you! 🙏

Like Raymond Wang likes this
Jenna Grimshaw November 20, 2023

Thanks you so much @Raymond Wang !!! It really means a lot that you listened to our feedback and it makes us feel heard and appreciated! 

Like # people like this
devongleason
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 20, 2023

Echoing everyone else, really impressed with your quick response to the feedback. Appreciate you!

Like # people like this
James Letherby
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 20, 2023

Much appreciated

Like # people like this
Ben Butler-Cole November 23, 2023

This is great. Thanks so much for listening.

Justin Isaacson December 4, 2023

Hey team, we are still experiencing this issue. I've tried refresh my Trello page and I've even tried logging out and back in to see if the change would take over. Is there a step that I'm missing?

@Raymond Wang

Raymond Wang
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2023

Hey @Justin Isaacson, sorry to hear that you're still experiencing issues. Those steps seem like they should be more than sufficient for getting all the new changes. Can you describe the issue you're seeing? To my knowledge, the following actions should not cause the board to automatically scroll anymore:

• Right-clicking on a card and moving it via the "Move" menu
  • Clicking into a card back and moving it via the "Move" menu
  • A teammate moving a card that you're looking at, or hovered over
  • An automation that moves a card to a new list or position
  • Using the `<`, `>`, `,`, or `.` keyboard shortcuts to move a card to an adjacent list
Ben Butler-Cole December 4, 2023

I found that the scroll-on-move behaviour reappeared for a day or two at the end of last week, but it has now gone away again for me. Force refreshing did not fix the problem. I wonder if there are some stale artifacts sitting in a CDN node somewhere?

I just tested some of these actions and you are correct, my page did not auto-scroll. Most of the time however, we are moving cards via card buttons that we've created.

An easy example is our card button that moves the card to the top of the list it is currently in. Once we click the button our focus is brought to the top of the list along with the card. The same thing will happen if we use another card button to say, move a card to another list.

@Raymond Wang 

Raymond Wang
Atlassian Team
December 4, 2023

@Justin Isaacson I don't think I'm following — I just created a few card buttons to move a card to the top, bottom, left, or right, and those buttons seem like they work as expected without scrolling the list(s) — but I'd like to understand better. Would you mind filling out a ticket via the form at the bottom of this page?

Sure thing, @Raymond Wang

You're not going to believe this, but while I was trying to take a recording this behaviour stopped. I'm not able to replicate it, so I guess it's no longer an issue for me, hahaha.

@Raymond Wang 

Sabrine Elkhodr
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 4, 2024

This is still happening for me on the app. I created a card that automatically moves a card to another list but then I’m bumped to that list and have to navigate back. Extremely annoying because like others, I’m trying to sort out an incoming list. How do I fix this on the mobile app?? @Raymond C 

1 vote
Raymond Wang
Atlassian Team
October 19, 2023

Hi @Jenna Grimshaw, thanks for writing in, and sorry for the inconvenience. We are indeed actively making some changes to the functionality here, and this change is intentional. We believe that the previous behavior, which would not scroll along with the card, was undesirable for accessibility, and unintuitive. In many cases, users might want to move a card, then make changes to it after — that was much harder to do if the card had to be re-located on the screen again, especially for users who primarily access Trello via keyboard or accessibility tooling.

I totally understand how your workflow feels negatively impacted by this change, and I'm sorry! If you're open to it, there are many potential workarounds that you could try incorporating into your workflow that might even make things easier than they were before. For example, we maintain a free Power-Up called Card Repeater, which you can use to automatically create new tasks on a recurring basis (daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly). I know that making changes to a core workflow can feel tedious and undesirable, but I'm hoping it ends up making you feel more productive in the long run, rather than less.

Marko Savic October 25, 2023

Hi Raymond, thanks for writing, I have a same issue as Jenna.

I understand that for some people would be better to send a card somewhere and then the screen moves accordingly. For me it does not work at all.

I collect all "to dos" in the first list, then I process them and at the end send them to the proper list/project/archive, I don't need to follow the card where it lands. Now every time I have to scroll back to the first list to process the next item, and again to scroll back. I have 50 items daily, so it is quite annoying. Would make sense to have a toggle somewhere so people can choose what works for them better. 

thanks,

Marko

Like # people like this
Ben Butler-Cole October 25, 2023

This change has broken my workflow too. I frequently send cards from an inbox list to an appropriate backlog list. Scrolling back to the inbox every time is very tedious; it makes the previously super-useful quick-edit card menu useless for this, instead I'm opening each card to move it (or forgetting and getting cross).

Like # people like this
Marko Savic October 25, 2023

Hi @Ben Butler-Cole @Jenna Grimshaw @Raymond Wang 

I have found a workaround for how to send an item from one board/list to another without changing the view.

I use planyway Trello extension a lot to schedule my to dos (calendar view). They also have a "board" view. If you click on the card you can change the lists in the drop down menu. This works for me hope it helps you too. 

best, Marko

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 13.46.04.png

Like Jenna Grimshaw likes this
devongleason
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 1, 2023

I 100% have the same issue and frustration. We've been using Trello for YEARS now with our team, and this single "bug" is completely ruining the experience of using Trello. Please get this fixed ASAP.

Like # people like this
Ludovic
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 2, 2023

Same issue here... It's really frustrating ! I understand your point Raymond, but is it possible to have an option to choose ? I think that we are not alone with this type of process to moove our card. Every day I build my TODAY list and it's now crazy to do that... A workaround is to a use trello in a private chrome session but it's not the best.

Like # people like this
Karl Macnaughton November 3, 2023

Sorry but the workaround suggested is total nonsense; sorting incoming tasks required conscious human thought in order to determine the right list to put them in. With more than a page full of lists, the jumping around is really disorientating and actually reduces accessibility as a result. The same old 'sorry about the impact on your workflow' is being used here again. I can't see a circumstance in which someone would want to send something to a list and then go there but maybe I'm wrong.

Like # people like this
ParaBug
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 3, 2023

Same issue. Adding a behaviour toggle would be the way to solve the issue.

Like # people like this
Justin Isaacson November 9, 2023

I'd just like to chime in that this feature is also negatively impacting my team. If it is actually a desirable feature for some, can we please work on an option to toggle it off? There are clearly some of us that this update effects negativity.

Like Elizabeth Reed likes this
James Letherby
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 14, 2023

Adding my frustrations here too. Like many we have a list with 'to do' tickets and when they are done we move them to a done list. We have a large board with multiple lists and sometimes we will move multiple tickets in a single session as we clear a backlog. This (in my opinion, massive change) has negatively impacted the speed at which we can do that. A toggle to chose whether a user would want this behaviour would be greatly appreciated. 

nprocko
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 14, 2023

Chiming in as I've got another negatively impacted workflow. I have a butler automation to move the card way off to the side when I said a future due date, as this is a card that I've reviewed and don't need to look at again until X/Y/Z date. I constantly work through my list and push stuff out like this, and now every time I do, it scrolls me all the way over to the list that is essentially "ignore this stuff til later"

I get how this would be a benefit to some, but this seems like it should be an optional feature that you can disable in your user settings so that Trello is flexible and supports more workflows

zdice
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 20, 2023

I like that Atlassian is adding accessibility features, but I agree with others above that this has significantly disrupted my work efficiency.  Please add a toggle for this behavior so that this follow-card behavior can be turned off.  There's no reason it couldn't be on by default for the sake of accessibility.

0 votes
Kate December 8, 2023

@Raymond Wang I've just started having similar problems to what's been described here. 

When I move a card to another board, the view switches to the board I've moved the card to.  As with the original commenters, I have a 'to do' board where I regularly move tasks into other boards.  As I move a lot of cards from the 'to do board' each time, it's hugely time consuming to have to switch back to the original board each time and it's driving me up the wall just in the few days it's been happening. 

I've tried reloading Trello, I've tried disabling extensions, I've tried logging out of Trello and back in and I've tried other browsers but nothing works (although when I use Trello on mobile devices I don't have the same issue).  Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Justin Isaacson December 8, 2023

We are actually still having our related issue as well (mostly when moving cards to the top of a list via card button), but it's not something that I can replicate every time. I'm not seeing a pattern of when it does it, either.

Raymond Wang
Atlassian Team
December 11, 2023

Hey @Kate, really sorry that this is happening! I just took a look and this is related to an experiment that we're currently running to a small cohort of users. We're going to try our best to get a fix out for this ASAP, so bear with us and sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime!

Raymond Wang
Atlassian Team
December 11, 2023

@Kate — we've shipped the fix for that issue; after refreshing your page to make sure you're on the latest version of Trello, you should be able to safely move cards to different boards without navigating away! Give that a whirl and let me know if that works for you!

Kate December 12, 2023

Hi Raymond.  That seems to have fixed it for me.  Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it as it has been driving me crazy the last few days!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events